Chapter 5

"I need your help, little brother."

Stefan looked up to see Damon standing before him, his stony face betraying nothing. He was a little shocked. These words were one of the very few Damon had said since the debacle in Fell's Church. He had retreated into a brooding silence, which wasn't like him. Stefan's heart had wrenched at seeing his brother hurting so badly, but Damon didn't allow anybody to come near him to support him. Not even Elena, whom he avoided.

So, Stefan kept his features composed when he asked carefully: "What is it?"

For a moment, Damon just looked at him, then sat down. "I need you to ask Elena to go inside Sheila Bennett's old house and search for the witch's grimoire."

After an initial moment of surprise, Stefan couldn't help the look of suspicion passing over his face. Emily's grimoire was safe with Bonnie and he couldn't fathom why his brother would take an interest in the, probably less elaborated, grimoire of Bonnie's late grandmother. Or how Damon would know it wasn't in Bonnie's possession already.

Damon must have sensed his hesitation, because he bowed forward slightly and said with emphasis on each word: "And then you'll have Elena give it to Bonnie."

The look of confusion was now apparent on Stefan's face, causing Damon to sigh and roll his eyes in his characteristic way.

"Look. The witch might have suspected the…" he looked away uncomfortably now, "unfortunate ending of the spell, but I don't think she would have destroyed her grimoire, like she was supposed to when feeling her time was coming. Bonnie is very new to the art and she needs every help, every encouragement she can get. Including her own grandmother's cookbook." Only slight sarcasm laced his abnormally serious voice.

Stefan had silently listened to his brother's words, but now leaned slightly forward as well. "And what's in it for you, Damon? What do you want with Bonnie now? I'm feeling very, very sorry about how things turned out for you, but I can't let you mess with her even further. She's hurting, her grandmother died because of us."

Stefan really meant this. He felt awfully guilty knowing that him running into the tomb had caused Sheila and Bonnie to lift the seal.

"I know she's hurting!" Damon snapped at him and Stefan backed down a little bit, surprised at his brother's unexpected ferocity.

But Damon quickly regained his composure and stood up abruptly, fixing his little brother with a cold, blue stare. "I take it you don't want to help me then?"

He turned around and walked away, when he was stopped by Stefan appearing before him with vampire speed.

"You're wrong there, Damon," he said. "I do want to help."