Chapter 10

His dark words made a shiver run down Bonnie's spine.

They revealed to her the restrain he had to put himself under as he looked down on her with an unreadable face. He'd tasted her blood - her sweet, magical blood... and he wanted more.

Bonnie involuntarily swallowed, before she bravely raised her eyes to meet his gaze and was taken aback by the intense, melancholy look with which he captured hers. Gone was his usual sarcasm and suddenly he reminded her strongly of his younger brother Stefan.

"How are you doing nowadays?" He determinedly changed the subject, an urgency lacing his voice she couldn't pinpoint. Did he actually care?

Confusion replaced the feelings of anger and fright she'd felt before, as she watched something flash in his eyes that took her a moment to recognize. Then her heart skipped a beat.

It was understanding. Actual, genuine understanding that made her eyes fill with tears. Her defenses crumbled.

"Not too well," she replied softly and honestly, before she could hold back the words.

"I'm sorry to hear that." His resigned words sounded surprisingly sincere and Bonnie bowed her head, nodding wordlessly. Once again, her heart wrenched at the thought of her crow's disappearance.

As she took a ragged breath, Bonnie hugged her bag close to her chest. "I.. I'm sorry about Katherine," she mumbled, looking at a point near his shoulder.

For a moment there was only silence, then he said something she didn't expect. "I know."

Looking up in surprise, she saw the lost, empty expression in his eyes. She gasped. This expression she'd seen only twice on him before, and had stirred her sympathy for him, even after all he'd done to her. But another, more powerful feeling of recognition unexpectedly surged through her as she looked at him.

A recognition that made her take a step closer to the older Salvatore brother, driven by an urge that made her reach out to him with a far more overwhelming strength than just heartfelt sympathy, an inexplicable feeling of wanting to prevent him from… leaving her?

A fearful look for a moment appeared in Damon's ice blue eyes as he watched Bonnie's face suddenly going blank, before he gave in to the mysterious, yet benevolent power engulfing him. He was mesmerized by her soft, brown eyes brilliantly shining up at him.

"No," he then said huskily, responding to a question Bonnie couldn't remember ever asking.

At hearing his voice, Bonnie blinked and was pulled from her concentration. She stepped back, immediately dissolving whatever power she had been maintaining between them.

Damon stumbled a little when she suddenly released him and shook his head to clear it. Then a smirk curled up the corners of his mouth.

"That was interesting," he commented, scrutinizing the young witch's face, before his gaze flickered toward a point behind her. He leaned in and lay a protective hand against her neck, bringing his mouth to her ear.

"It's time for you to go now, witch. My little brother wants a word with you and I would advise you to pay close attention because…" he cast a glance over her shoulder, "I think it's important," he concluded in a sing-song voice, amusement lacing his words.

Despite herself, a grin appeared on Bonnie's features and she whispered: "Isn't that always the case with Stefan?"

Damon let out a dry chuckle. "You're absolutely right. Now off you go," he agreed, and suddenly placed a light kiss on her cheek, before turning around and disappearing the same instant.

Bonnie carefully turned around and slowly started to walk toward Stefan who stood next to her Prius, hands in his pockets as he studied her with a worried expression.

Feeling her headache already coming up, Bonnie sighed and walked up to him, pointedly rummaging through her backpack.

"Hey," Stefan said gently and from the corner of her eye she clearly saw several emotions passing over his face, ranging from worry to irritation to curiosity.

She struggled to put on a false smile. "Hey Stefan. Nice to see you." She ducked her head when the smile faltered, hoping that he wouldn't ask her to explain her little encounter with Damon he'd just witnessed, which she barely understood herself. The place where his lips had touched her cheek still tingled and her heart raced against her chest. "Look, I'm sorry but I have to go, so…"

"Have you looked at the book I gave you?"

Bonnie froze, keys in her hands, completely caught off guard. Book? What book? Slowly it dawned to her. The book Elena had given to her. She had completely forgotten about it.

Stefan seemed to guess her train of thoughts. "You definitely should, Bonnie. It's very important."

She looked up and brown eyes met worried bluish grey ones and an involuntary sigh escaped her. "I will, Stefan. I promise."

Nodding once, he smiled his melancholy smile. "Good."

When she turned around, he had already disappeared.