Chapter 4

The crow hopped on its place and cocked its little head.

She shook her head and sighed. "That's what comes from acting on impulse. How will I get you to go away now?"

The crow stepped a bit closer, as if saying 'you won't.' A small smile appeared on Bonnie's features.

"Wait here," she said to the bird and retreated inside to return with a crumbled biscuit.

Carefully she lay the crumbs on the windowsill and then sat down again, waiting for the crow to pick them up. Somehow she knew he would eat the crumbs while she was sitting there. He wasn't a shy crow.

To her satisfaction, the crow indeed took a few steps closer, after watching her with curious, beady eyes, and started to pick up the crumbs.

As the silence was broken only by the soft sound of a crow's beak ticking onto the wooden windowsill, Bonnie averted her gaze toward the night sky and leaned her back against the window frame, her thoughts drifting toward her grandmother once more.

"You know, birdie, when I first saw you, I thought you were my Grams."

The crow momentarily looked up and croaked softly at her statement. It sounded a bit mockingly. Bonnie smiled wryly and somehow felt the urge to explain herself.

"Yeah, pathetic, I know. But it's just… she passed away not too long ago and I… I just miss her so much." The last words she choked out and her blurry gaze registered how the crow finished its last crumb but instead of flying away, like she had expected it to do, it sat right beside her now, watching her with a strangely intense gaze. A gaze which seemed to encourage her to continue talking, to breach the wall of numbness shielding her from the world outside her pain.

She bowed her head, looking at the crow's black feathers which gleamed in the golden light of the standard lamp behind her.

"My Grams was a fabulous woman, beautiful, strong, intelligent. She was a college professor, you know? After my parents got divorced and with my father being away all the time she practically raised me. She taught me… to value the good in this world, to study hard and to always look outside the box. I guess, when I look back, she was already preparing me… My Grams was proud, powerful and… a witch."

The crow cocked its little head and Bonnie nodded smilingly, imagining the animal reacting to her words. "Yes, she was a witch. But don't you worry. She wasn't one to turn you into a frog, or something like that…" The crow ruffled its feathers and with a small smile Bonnie lay her head on her knees as she watched him blink.

"I never got to know what exactly she could do, though," she mumbled thoughtfully. "Ah, the day she told me that all of the strange things happening to me were because I was a witch. You know, I didn't believe her? I didn't want to believe her. Witches were creatures from fairytales. Not me. But before I knew it I lit candles without using fire and had down floating through the air…"

The crow again made a soft, croaking sound and hopped closer, its beady eyes looking up at her with interest. Bonnie sighed.

"She had just started to teach me. And now she's gone and I don't know what to do now. Should I go on trying to teach myself? Or perhaps it's for the best when I just let it be. No more witchcraft, no more vampires trying to take advantage of what I am," she spoke those words with disgust and for a moment she imagined the crow flinching under her hard stare, "no more deaths."

A lonely tear slid down her cheek as she locked eyes with the crow. A silent moment passed in which they only looked at each other and somehow Bonnie felt as if the beady black eyes were pleading with her not to give in to her doubts. She leaned back her head against the window frame, feeling rage against the person who had caused all of her misery flaring up.

"Tell me, birdie, why did he have to be so persistent, so… so blind? He could have known that Katherine was bad news. Why did he have to kill all those people and abuse Caroline and… and kill my Grams?"

With a furious gaze in her brown eyes she looked down on the black bird sitting motionlessly by her feet.

"Yes, he killed her!" she hissed, as hot tears now flowed freely from her eyes. "My Grams died from the strain the spell has put on her body, a strain which would have killed me too, if she hadn't been with me that night!"

She leaned her head on her knees and sobbed uncontrollably. "I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!" Her muffled cries sounded painfully as she clenched her fists and slammed them against the windowsill.

As suddenly as it had begun, Bonnie was pulled from her rage when she heard a "Caw!" and watched with wide eyes as the crow flapped its wings in fright and flew away.

Immediately, a feeling of guilt washed over her, as the bird disappeared in the dark night sky. She had scared the crow by her fierce emotion and her sudden act of violence. Poor bird.

A stinging pain then drew her attention and she looked down on her left hand which was still balled into a fist. Blood dripped on the windowsill where the splinter had penetrated deeply into her caramel skin. Cursing herself Bonnie retreated inside to search for a bandage.

From the woods a crow called.