Chapter 2 - (1.4K Words)

You felt a quick, light tap upon your shoulder. You instinctively rolled your head to the side, moving away from the touch. After a second, you felt it again, harder this time. Whatever you felt, it wasn't going to go away on its own.

Your eyes fluttered open, and started to remember where you were. You were still on the airplane, sitting in your seat. The cabin was almost completely dark, and all the windows were closed. The only light that you could see was coming from behind you, hanging just above the bathrooms.

So it was all a dream, then?

You felt something pat your shoulder again, and you looked over to the man sitting besides you. Unlike you, he seemed to be wide awake. He was shifting uncomfortably in his seat, and he seemed to want your attention. You paused your music and pulled out your headphones, not wanting to seem rude. You were prepared to be met with another cascade of unending stories and words. But luckily, he seemed at a loss for words.

"Can you please let me through? I need to go to the bathroom." He said quietly, unbuckling his safety belt. You nodded your head and pulled up your legs, letting him through. He quickly made his way past you, and put your legs down again. You listened as his footsteps got fainter as he neared the back of the plane.

At least he didn't decide to wake me up for a nice chat. 

You figured that you would go back to sleep after he came back and sat down. If he came back, and you were asleep, he would have to go through the trouble of waking you up again. Not only was it tedious, but it was a waste of time for the both of you. That, and you didn't want to be woken up by him again.

You sighed, and pushed your glasses back up the bridge of your nose. Your eyes were still fighting to keep themselves open. You figured that if you kept them open much longer, they'd threaten to close themselves forever.

Maybe I'll be able to sleep then.

To keep yourself occupied, you decided to check what time it was. You weren't sure how long the flight had left; you felt as though you had slept for years. You picked up your phone, and you were met with a blindingly bright light.

9:04 PM. My phone must still be in American time, you thought to yourself as you set your phone down on top of your lap. You didn't want to spend too much time on your phone. There wasn't any way to charge your phone until you landed at the airport, and you were already low on battery.

That meant your flight was had just a little bit more than four hours left to go. Five hours until you could get off the plane. Five hours until you could see your aunt. Five hours until you could breathe in some fresh air. All you had to do was survive the next five hours.

You smiled at yourself. Five hours on a plane was an easy thing, you had done it several times before. But of course, this was your first time doing it all on your own. Why did you have to remind yourself?Your thoughts instantly flashed back to your parents, who were now at home with your little brother. They probably weren't asleep yet. But when they went to sleep, they would have a large and comfy mattress to lay themselves down on. You only had an uncomfortable chair and a neck pillow.

I'll be more comfortable once I get off this damn plane.

You could almost imagine your parents lying awake, unable to sleep because of worry. Both tossing and turning in place, being unable to get a wink of sleep. They were worried over their seventeen year old daughter who was on a plane full of strangers, currently flying somewhere over Southeastern Asia. But deep down, you knew that wasn't the case.

They probably weren't worrying. They were most likely spending the night together, as it was about the time your brother was asleep. They might be going out to dinner together, watching movies, or whatever else adults found fun. And they were doing it all without your company.

What is taking him so long? You were starting to get annoyed, you wanted to go back to sleep. You leaned out in the aisle to look for him, but you couldn't see much because it was so dark. He's been gone almost five minutes, and he's the only other person on this plane that's awake!

You kept peering back towards the back of the plane, waiting for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. You squinted, hoping it would better your vision. Soon enough, you could make out a large figure standing at the back of the plane. You pulled your glasses up closer to your eyes, and you almost let out a gasp.

What's going on??

At the back of the plane were two people, not one. The man who was sitting next to you was now pushed up against the wall by another, larger and scarier man with broad shoulders. You couldn't see either of their faces, but you could make out something that was gleaming red in the larger man's hands.

The larger man was harshly whispering to the man he had pressed up against the wall. He seemed annoyed and angry, and he clearly wasn't in a very playful mood.

You slowly turned your head around until you were facing the back of the headrest in front of you. A bead of sweat ran down your forehead. You felt your muscles tighten as adrenaline worked its way into your system. You couldn't make out anything that they were saying, even though you were straining your ears as much as you possibly could.

How did he get back there?? I would have seen or heard him, at least.

Suddenly, the whispering stopped. You heard something hit the ground with a loud thud. Your mouth went dry and your heart rate increased. You didn't personally know the man that was sitting next to you, but you were fearing for his safety. As far as you knew, he could be dead in the back of the plane.You heard loud footsteps work their way up the aisle. You quickly closed your eyes and pretended that you were sleeping. There was no time to put your headphones back in, otherwise you might get caught.

The sound of the footsteps passed by you, still working their way to the front of the plane. It was likely that the larger man was making his escape up to another class in front of you. He was leaving, probably going to go and hide among all the other passengers on the plane. You were about to let out a sigh of relief, but the footsteps stopped abruptly.

Your heart was pounding in your chest. You couldn't tell where he was now, only that he was standing just a couple of rows in front of you. Had he heard you?? Was he coming to make sure there weren't any witnesses?? Were you next??

Your mind was racing, and it wouldn't slow down. He might notice you. You just hoped that you looked like you were sleeping. You were most certainly in danger.

You heard the man sniff loudly, and then continue on his way towards the front of the plane. A wave of relief washed over you, but you were still fairly shaken up. You waited until you couldn't hear him anymore before you dared to open your eyes.

You rubbed your eyes underneath your glasses, and noticed that you had been crying. You had never been so afraid in all of your life. Not just for yourself, but for the man who was supposed to be sitting next to you, and wasn't.

There was no sign of the mystery man as you looked up and down the aisle. And as you looked toward the back of the plane, there was no sign of your friend either. You turned around and plugged your headphones in as quickly as you could. It didn't matter how much battery you had left now.

What did I just witness?!