Personal Space

Tobias' POV

I tried to ignore all the happiness around me from everyone seeing their friends after summer break, and just walk to class but I kept feeling this presence behind me. I stopped walking and felt a chest collide into me, from behind. I turned around and saw the same guy from homeroom who seems to always be bumping into me now.

"Can I help you?" I asked rather rudely. It wasn't intentional but after what just happened back there with Michelle, I wasn't in the nicest mood.

"Well I don't know if you could tell but, I'm new." oh I could tell, "I really need to know where room 237 is." He brought his binder close to me. I grabbed it from him and looked down at his binder to see his schedule in the clear plastic in front of his binder. As I'm looking over his schedule I realized, We had three classes together.

His first period was AP Psych. With the way this school is formed, all the AP classes are in the same hallway. Since I have AP calculus, might as well just show him then tell him.

"Follow me." I started walking, while he trailed behind. After turning a hall, he moved to the side of me and followed my footsteps. I saw some familiar faces and some young ones that were possibly freshman's or early sophomores. I could feel his arm brush against mine as we walked down the hall, and it felt weird, so I started taking big steps to get away. Once I did that, I noticed he did the same too.

"Ever heard of personal space?"

I looked over at him and noticed he slowed down his pace with a sad expression on his face.

"You have my binder." He said with a low voice.

I looked down at my hands and sure enough, his binder was on top of mine. I rolled my eyes and handed him his binder. The halls were starting to empty out so we had about a minute and a half to get to the AP hallways. He obviously thought it was a perfect time to converse as we rushed to class.

"Was that your girlfriend back there in the classroom?" I kept quiet and quickly went down the stairs. I really can't be late on my first day and I really don't want to be near him anymore. I was nice to him in homeroom and it's obvious, he's taking advantage of that and now being nosey, "I'm guessing from your silent answer, she's your ex."

"And how would you know that?" I said with a scoff.

"I saw the way you gripped the railing when I asked you and nobody grips the railing. Not that way at least." I stayed silent and continued walking.

"My names Ethan by the way."

Like if I cared to know his name...

The classroom was down the hall, so I was forced to walk with little chatter box over here for just a few more seconds until we got there.

"just in case you wanted to know my name, it's Ethan."  Just a couple more steps,"I don't really know anyone in this school. Actually, I don't know anyone except for you. Maybe that makes us fri—"

He abruptly stopped his sentence once he noticed I stopped walking. We were in front of my classroom, his classroom was two doors down. It was Ms. Brooks room, everyone knew where her class was. Everyone loved her.

"Your class is right there." I said pointing to his destination. He nodded and started walking without me, "Hey!"

He had his hand on the door knob. Right before he went in, he turned to face me.

"And just so you know." I saw his eyes light up at my voice and it almost made me feel bad for what I was about to say next, "This doesn't make us friends."

Right as I said that, the bell rung and he disappeared into his classroom.

Like I said, almost.

__________

After reuniting with some of my friends, we talked about how our summers went. The first half of my summer was actually enjoyable. To cover up my whole depressed half, I lied about other things I did. They were believable lies so I got away with it, but the questions about Michelle did come up. I shrugged them off and made it seem like it wasn't a big deal.

"But hey, you might find a new piece tonight at Ronnie's." Dylan said. Dylan was the hacker. I don't know what it was but he loved to hack. You don't know how many times his tried to join the 'Anonymous' community. He's not a huge hacker though, the most his done is break into our schools website and switch up all the words. Other than hacking, he loves to party. That's kinda why I wasn't surprised that he knew about the party, he knows about all the parties, whether it be months before or days; he knows.

"I don't know if I could go."

It's of course a lie. I could easily sneak out and go but it's a back to school party, plus Ronnie is cool with everyone so that means a lot of people are going to be there. Michelle and that guy might be there and where ever she is, is a place I don't want to be in.

"Come on! We go to Ronnie's parties all the time. What's the difference?"

"It's Michelle that's got him like that." Cameron says. Cameron is the light skin. Supposedly girls have a thing for light skin black dudes, his words; not mine. But with his numbers, I could believe that the statement is true. We've known each other since elementary so our bond is like cement.

"Shut up. I told y'all I was fine." I said with clear discomfort.

"Then come to the party." He egged on. Although I didn't want to, peer pressure was getting to me so, and I gave in last second.

"I'll see."

He clapped his hands and sat back, "It's better than nothing, so I'll take it."

+

Once lunch hit, I enter the crowded cafeteria and cut through the lunch line. With crowed people, no one knows where their actual spot is so its easy for me to say I was there all along when I really wasn't.

Once I got in and grabbed my lunch, I paid the lady and took my change. I don't really like school lunch, so I only go into the lunch line, to buy two bags of chips and a juice. It satisfies my stomach until school ends so I'm okay. I sit with the guys and we just start talking, well they talk while I just sit there, eating away at my Doritos. 

As I'm sitting there listening to them ramble on about summer gossip, I see one brown haired boy from a distance, headed in my direction.

________
Well, Tobias is kinda mean... But we all know who to blame for that.