Sensitive Topics

Ethan's POV

I looked around the semi-clean room. He had a desk in the corner, cluttered with papers and random pencils. He had a pair of shoes right beside his desk and another pair, right under his bed. Right on top of his bed, was a navy blue blanket hanging off the edge and onto the floor.

Tobias walked over and picked up the blanket hanging from the floor, before going to his black nightstand and unplugging what looked like his phone.

"I... I like your room." I said awkwardly as I looked around area.

"It's Whatever."

I looked over at him and furrowed my eyebrows. He couldn't see me since he was distracted on his phone but I could sense something was bothering him. Since the moment we walked up the stairs, I can tell something was on his mind.

"Are you okay?"

"Peachy."

I let out a dry chuckle as I walked around his room, "Stop lying." The first day when we were in homeroom flashed in my head as I thought about the first time he used the word peachy.

"What do you mean?"

By now my hands were stuffed in my pockets, as I stared up at the posters taped to his wall. There were posters of different types of cars. They looked really expensive and luxurious, something I could tell Tobias would want some day.

"Cause... on the first day, I asked if you were okay and you said the same thing. It was obvious you weren't peachy. You were just hiding your feelings." I said casually while I stared at the metallic gold sports car.

Silence filled the room, as realization hit me. I can't believe I just said that so casually as if the conversation happened two seconds ago. I turned my head to see if he noticed, and found him already looking at me.

"Do you remember all your conversations with people?"

"That's not the point." I said to quickly, feeling slightly embarrassed that I actually remembered such a small conversation. We only exchanged a couple words that morning. Well, he did... I was the nervous mess who couldn't keep his mouth shut, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He deadpan.

"Tobias, just tell—"

"What? Like you told Bryan?!"

At this point I was utterly confused. The only thing I told Bryan was that I was gay, What does telling Bryan I'm gay have to do with him not being in a good mood?

"What?"

He stood up from his bed and walked towards me. He was basically cornering me between him and his desk and I was starting to get a little worried.

"Don't play dumb. I know you told him we kissed... Now he's going to think I'm—"

"Gay?" I said with a bitter laugh. I didn't know why I felt my eyes get a little watery, maybe it was cause I was weak and had slight issues with authority and the way he just approached me. Or maybe it was because I had a slight crush on him and him basically telling me, that telling Bryan we kissed was wrong, hurt. To think that he was on the verge of insanity because he thought someone knew we kissed, that he kissed me, "Cause being gay is just so wrong and—"

"That's not what I said." He whispered while shaking his head slowly. I could feel the desk digging into my back but I didn't want to move, I was scared that I might touch him. The atmosphere in this room was thick with tension and all I wanted to do was leave.