But just give it time

DAY ONE

Dalton's POV

"Will! How sweet is this... well, suite?!?" I'm looking around at the luxury cabin on the cruise ship that Will and I are going to share for the week. It has basically every amenity imaginable, with a jacuzzi tub, towel heater, and high-definition TV. "Yeah, it really is nice. Oh come on... another bathroom selfie, really?!?" I turn toward him and raise one eyebrow just so. "Yeah? What's it to ya? Are you prejudiced against bathrooms? You know, all rooms should be treated equally..." Will smiles but rolls his eyes. "Always sassy, aren't you?" "Well, they don't call me Salty for nothing."

I hear someone knocking at the door so I go open the door. "Oh hey, Dean." "Hello to you too Dalton. Lots to do today. Here's a printed master schedule for the entire cruise, and the first thing on it is the first show this afternoon at 1:00. I need you on the main deck ASAP for the sound check, and bring whatever guitar you need with you of course. You'll be doing a 30-minute set before every Paramore show. Sound good?"

Dean tends to ramble on... And on... And on... So I usually just nod my head and try to keep the eye-rolling to a minimum... Which is hard for someone like Ol' Salty. "Uh yeah, okay." "See you at noon, Dalton." And Dean breezed out the door as fast as he had come. That guy is more like a hurricane of schedules and logistics than a person most of the time.

Hayley's POV (see above for the IM5 vid):

"Taylor, I'm gonna go check out the stage. Wanna come with?" Taylor shakes his head. "Uh, I think I'm gonna unpack first. I'll be in my room across the hall if you need me." "Oh okay. See ya in a bit." I grab the map of the ship and try to navigate my way to the stage on the main deck. My security detail follows me to fend off any crazed fans. Even with a low profile and a black hoodie covering my neon yellow hair, people still follow me around. Flattering of course, but ever since that unmentionable fan encounter on the Parahoy cruise last year, I've been extra careful. Things have happened before, but this one instance sticks with me like a dead bug on a windshield.

It was innocent at first, but quickly turned off-kilter. I was deep into the chorus of "Ignorance" at Warped Tour last year, when I reached my hand into the audience, like I usually do. Most of the time, it's just really sweet pre-teen girls clad in Paramore tees and black chokers who probably look up to me and want to brag to all their friends that they touched my hand. It makes me laugh just thinking about it - I never feel like I'm anyone all that special. Well anyway, this particular time, I misjudged where I was reaching while I was singing, and a middle-aged creeper grabbed my arm and didn't let go. He pulled me off the stage while I screamed, and I landed on top of him and he wasted no time trying to make out with me. I screamed, kicked, and yelled, and thankfully, my security team is amazing and got him away from me before anything worse happened. But that still haunts me, because for a split second, I had absolutely no control. I'm no control freak, per se, but the absence of control is something that scares me more than anything else.

Anyway, I get to the stage fairly easily, and look around at the deck that will be filled with fans in just under 30 minutes. The blue sky and the water are seamlessly woven together, the perfect serene background for heavy punk-rock music. That paradox is my favorite thing another playing shows on a cruise ship. Well, that, and the fresh ocean breeze doesn't hurt either.

And then I see a couple guys walking over to the stage. One of them seems to be the picture of apathy with a completely "blah" expression in his face under his bleach-blonde spiky hair, while the other can't seem to stop smiling. I assume they're fans taking a stroll on the deck before the show, but when they walk over to the performer's only area without the security detail reacting, it appears that they are supposed to be here. "Who are they?" I turn to my left where Frank, one of my security guards, is keeping watch on the area. "That's Dalton Rapattoni and his friend Will Jay Behlendorf. Dalton is your opening act." "Oh cool!" I had been looking forward to meeting Dalton since I binge-watched all his YouTube videos. And I mean all of them. I nearly died laughing when I uncovered old videos of him in a boy band. Hey, we all had to start somewhere, I don't judge. Who am I kidding? I judge a lot. But it's all in good fun, at least. Definitely going to go introduce myself now.

"Hey there! I'm Hayley from Paramore! You're Dalton, right?" I smile at him and extend my hand to welcome him. His face transforms from utter apathy to sincere interest as he smiles politely and grabs my hand. "Indeed I am. Looking forward to sharing the stage with you. Oh, and this is my friend Will -" "Oh my gosh. Hayley, I am Paramore's biggest fan! It's an honor to meet you!" If I thought he didn't stop smiling before, now his grin was plastered permanently on his face as his left hand was perched excitedly in my left arm. I've met crazy fans before, but this guy was quickly climbing to the top of that list, especially when he nearly shook my hand off of my arm in the form of a handshake. "Ha ha thank you so much! It's good to meet you too. Hey, wait a minute... You said your name was Will? Like, from IM5?" Dalton face palmed immediately and looked very uncomfortable. "Oh geez, is this really how you want to start this? Again with the boy band stuff..." I couldn't contain my laughter this time. "Oh so you've seen our work?! That's so great! What did you think?" Will seemed really happy to hear that I knew about their old band. Like his face actually lit up. "Ha ha yeah! I always tend to Internet stalk my opening acts to learn a bit about them. And although it's not my personal style, I have to say that 'Touchdown Dance' is boy band gold for sure!" Dalton's face dropped. "Oh gosh of all the videos you could have seen you like that one?!? It was... Really no good. And what was I thinking with my hair? It was so chunky... Ugh." I'm laughing again and Will is still grinning at me like I'm some kind of mystical unicorn or something. "Awww it's okay Dalton. We all had to start at the bottom, that's how we got where we are today. And congrats on making top 3 of American Idol. That's really amazing!" Dalton seemed to soften a bit at that remark and flashed me a winning smile, a bit more sincerely this time. "Thank you very much!"

"Dalton, time for sound check. Grab your guitar!" Dalton looks over to the stage where it appears that he's needed. "That's my manager, gotta go. I guess I'll be seeing you around!" I smile back at him. "Yep, guess so! See ya, Salty Dalty." I really do my homework when it comes to Internet stalking. It seems that a fan or someone had coined that nickname and it just stuck. He lets out a hearty laugh and points in my direction before turning on his heel and walking to the stage.

"I'm not needed anywhere right now..." Will winks at me, with his hand still on my arm, but I just smile and look away at my phone, pretending to be busy. I know he's from IM5 and all, but he also seems like a crazed fan and to be honest, being followed just creeps me out. "I really love your song 'That's What you Get'. That's like, my jam." I nod politely before I pull my black hood over my head again and walk to the other side of the stage, hoping that he gets the hint and gives me a little space.

"Hayley! Want a smoothie? Hayyyyleyyyyyy... Wait up!." Much to my annoyance, Will runs after me while Dalton makes his way to the stage for his sound check. Apparently subtlety isn't his strong suit.