You are what they're feeding on

Dalton's POV (see above for Personal Insane Asylum video):

"Dalton! You're on stage in five. Guitar tuned? Ready to go?" I nod my head at Dean. "Yep, all set. How's the crowd out there?" "Pretty great. Take a look!" Dean directs me to peek around the partition next to the crowd and the open-air stage where I'm hiding until it's time to perform. The entire crowd is filled to the brim, standing room only, on the main deck. They're all wearing Paramore tee shirts and... Oh quite a few are wearing my exclusive "Get Daltonized" tees too. Rad.

"Wow... There's a lot of people here!" Dean nods. "American Idol has been a huge boost for your publicity." I can only nod my head. I've performed in front of a large crowd many times in my life between Fly Away Hero, IM5, and American Idol, but this feeling just never gets old.

The cruise director walks onto the stage in his suit and tie. "And without further ado, please welcome to the stage, Dalton Rapattoni!" The crowd cheers for me, and Dean nods his head for me to get on stage. Guitar in hand, I'm ready to open the first show of many on the Parahoy cruise.

"What's up Parahoy?" The crowd answers me with excited screams. "All right, here's a song you might know if you followed my old band Fly Away Hero... This is... PERSONAL INSANE ASYLUM!!!" And with that, I launch into the rhythmic guitar intro.

Well if it's possible to get to you
I'll wear my heart on my sleeve if it'll shine through
Don't you tell me, it doesn't matter
So just take my hand, and make a stand
'Cause you're my own, personal insane asylum...

During the instrumental interlude I happen to glance to the side of the stage where Hayley is huddled with her band mates, drinking water and generally getting pumped up to perform. I try not to smile, since "Personal Insane Asylum" isn't exactly a happy tune. I think of the lyrics and distract myself with their meaning before I lose my resolve. I finish the song, and the crowd cheers loudly. I smile and check my tuning while I introduce the next song.

"Okay, so this next song, is one that I wrote after a really tough thing, that happened, or whatever. And I rarely do this but I decided that... I wanted to. So yeah - this song, is called 'Superman'. Now if I can only remember the rhythm..." I hit the first few beats until it feels right. "There it is."

I did everything that you asked of me and more
Went to the moon and back, but all you went was out the door.
And I waited on you with the patience of a saint
So don't think I'm walking on air when you're walking away
Well you should know, that I'm hurting too, I ain't bulletproof
I'm choked up saying hi to your goodbye
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words break my heart
I'm not as strong as you think I am, I'm no Superman...

I finish that song too and the crowd seems to like it. I catch myself glancing over to the side of the stage again, and Hayley is staring right at me. Her face seems... Softer, to have taken what I sang to heart. I try to fight the heat rising to my face, and I fail, so I play it off as being emotional. Hopefully the crowd doesn't notice, the last thing I need is more crazy fan theories. Although, if they said anything, would it be theory or truth? I'm starting to wonder that myself.

Hayley's POV:

I'm warming up with my band during Dalton's opening set, but I can't stop watching him. I've watched all his videos on YouTube, but they're honestly nothing compared to seeing him live. The emotions just don't translate through a screen as clearly. It seems that he's felt soul-crushing pain from a failed relationship too... Just like me.

"Earth to Hayley, we're trying to warm up here. We're on stage in ten." Taylor is looking at me, his eyebrows raised in concern. But a grin is threatening to spread onto his face despite his efforts to be all protective and serious. "Yeah, sorry Taylor. I was just... Distracted..." He winks at me. "Uhmmmmhmmmm..."

"Hayley!" I whirl around to find none other than my new shadow, Will Jay Behlendorf, holding a bouquet of flowers. "I was, I was going to give these to you after the show, but I just couldn't wait. So I guess... They're good luck roses?" I smile politely and accept the flowers from him, even though the guy is starting to legitimately creep me out. I mean, good luck roses? Really? Who does that? "Oh, thank you!" I sniff the flowers, and they do smell really good...

"Paramore, you're on in five!" I nod at my band and hand the roses to my manager for safe keeping later. "Will, it was very thoughtful of you to think of me, but I really have to get ready for the show now -" "OH YEAH OF COURSE. Sorry about that, I'm just a wicked huge fan, and I couldn't believe I was going to get to meet you, and know you're here, in front of me, and -"

"Two minutes until showtime! Paramore on deck!" The show producers are running around in the hidden area next to the stage where we were warming up, trying to get everything ready. "Will, this was really flattering, but I really have to get ready now. I'll see you around, okay?" And I give him a quick side-hug for added effect.

"She hugged me... And wants to see me again?!?" Will was mumbling to himself, in a daze, as I walk toward the stage.

"Hey Dalton! That, was... Really amazing. Awesome job out there!" Dalton smiles at me. "Thanks! Good luck. Have fun out there!" I nod my head, and open my mouth to say more but -"

"Are you ready for PARAMORE?!?" The crowd goes wild as the announcer says our name. "I'll talk to you later Dalton!" And with that, I run onto the stage as my band starts playing "Brick by Boring Brick" to get the crowd pumped up. They feed off of our music, the beat pulsing through their veins.