Ain't it fun living in the real world?

Dalton's POV:

I'm sitting with Will at dinner, but we're both silent, just picking at our food. I swallow the bite I just took and go for it. "Okay Will, we gotta talk about this. We're best friends and this is just really uncomfortable - tell me what you really think about Hayley." He smiles nervously and shrugs. "Well, I'm a super fan, but I guess you already knew that. Umm, there's not a whole lot to say. Since I finally met her in person, I realized that I might actually have a chance, know that she at least knows I exist..." I exhale the air I was holding in the pit of my stomach. "Okay? So... the problem is, I really like her too. I wasn't sure at first, but she really is something. What are we gonna do?" Will's head is in his hands. "We are going to do the only thing we can do: we'll let Hayley decide based on how she acts around us." I nod, but I'm hesitant. "Yeah, but it might not be as clear as we'd need it to be. How can we be sure?"

Will sighs. "Well, I guess there's no real sign. I guess... We'll just know? At least, I hope so." I shake my head in frustration. Never did I consider the fact that my best friend and I would want to date the same girl. This is an uncomfortable turn of events that could ruin our friendship.

"Okay, but whatever happens... we're friends, right?" Will nods. "Oh absolutely! I wouldn't want a girl to get between us... even if she is the gorgeous Hayley..." I roll my eyes and smirk at him. I'm relieved, but also concerned. Then again, hopefully his fanatic side will be as awkward as it has been so far. As much as I wouldn't want to think badly of Will, I have to admit that his flirting skills are more creepy than they are cute. Probably why his last girlfriend was in fourth grade, or so I've heard. I've only known him since the IM5 days, but we're still very close.

Hayley's POV:

Zac and Taylor are chatting between mouthfuls of their hamburgers, but I'm just picking at my salad absentmindedly wondering why Dalton seemed awkward around me for roughly no reason.

"... And that's why I really think we should cut the ending of 'Still Into You' a little sharper next time. It works better with the energy of the crowd. But what do you think, Hayley? Hayley?" I'm snapped out of my endless thoughts by Taylor's question.

"Oh, I ummm... Yeah. Whatever you think is fine with me." "Do you even know what we're talking about?" I sheepishly shake my head and shift my gaze away from his all-knowing eyes. "Nope, not at all." He leans over and whispers loudly to Zac: "See, I told you - she's definitely not fine." I roll my eyes and play with the white napkin on my lap. "Hayley, something is definitely bugging you, what's up? And don't say 'nothing'. I think we're kind of past that point." Well, I guess they have me cornered. I take a deep breath and spill everything to my band mates-turned-brothers. "Well, even though we just met today, I've been watching Dalton's videos online for a little while, and so I feel like I've known him for longer than just a day." Zac nods. "Okay, keep going..." "And I'm starting to fall for him, fast. But..." "But what?" Taylor seems deeply concerned now, so I continue. "But, he was like super awkward around me for no reason after the show. I wanted to hug him casually, but he kinda just shook my hand instead."

Taylor and Zac sit in silence for what feels like ten hours, and then Taylor pipes in. "Interesting. Well, did anything else happen to cause him to act weird?" I think hard for a minute. "Well, I did get some random flowers from Will before the show, could that have anything to do with it?" Taylor and Zac exchange knowing glances. "Oh Hayley, that's it! Wow that's so simple." I'm baffled by their sudden insight. "Um, what do you mean?" Taylor smiles and rolls his eyes. "Will and Dalton are like best friends. They were in IM5 together, remember?" I nod my head. "Yeah? So?" "Will is a huge fan, and is trying to get your attention. I have no idea what his motives are but he is definitely a fan, obviously. Dalton may have misinterpreted that for wanting to date you, and backed off to keep his friendship with Will. It's simple, really." Understanding washes over me, and I exhale. "Oh, so that's really it? So you don't think I did anything?" Zac smiles at me and grabs my hand. "Nope, nothing besides rocking out like a total badass! You were amazing tonight!" I smile back at him. "Thanks Zac!"

I smile for a minute but then another concern hits me square in the face. "But wait, guys... What about the flowers? And touching my arm? And smiling at me uncontrollably? Is that still just being a crazy fan, or something more? Both Zac and Taylor dropped their forks now (which is a huge deal for anyone that likes food as much as these guys do). Zac swears under his breath, but it's still audible even for me sitting across the table from him. "I legit forgot about that. Yeah, I got nothing then. Will could be into you, I have no idea now." I nod my head. "And do you think... maybe Dalton is too and backed of for his friend?" Taylor bites his lip. "Yeah, I would say that's a pretty large possibility. But regardless, that's something they'll have to handle. Nothing you could have done would have changed that." I'm somewhat relieved but also really uncertain. "Okay, that's good to know, I suppose." Zac nods his head, and then resumes watching the sports playing on the monitor behind me. Boys. They never pick up on a crisis mode unless it involves giant food or tiny swimsuits.

"Okay, but what should I do? What's my next move? You're guys, tell me what you think is best!" Zac and Taylor exchange clueless glances. "Oh, so now you're speechless. Thanks a lot!" They shrug their shoulders, and get back to their food. But then Taylor must sense my discomfort, because he adds: "Just go with your gut. If you want to get with Dalton, just tell him how you feel. If you feel like you should. Totally up to you, and I take no responsibility for any disasters that could come out of this, including but not limited to - an extremely awkward rest of the cruise, or bad blood between you and a dude you kinda liked." I roll my eyes - leave it to Taylor to treat my emotions like a boxed-up legal case.