Don't go crying to your momma

Hayley's POV (see above for song mentioned):

I'm just getting ready to go on stage when Dalton shows up for his opening set. "Hayley!" Dalton jogs over to me with a pained expression on his face. "Is something wrong? What's happening?" Dalton sighs. "I think we should reconsider singing a song together tomorrow..." Oh here we go. It's already falling apart. "Ummm why?" Dalton pulls me to the side. "My manager thinks that the fans knowing about is could be a problem, that they'll be jealous, start hating on each other, or us..." I raise my eyebrows. "Really? I doubt that..." "So did I, but Dean has never scared me wrong before... he's known me since I was twelve and just starting out at the School of Rock." His hand is on my arm, trying to soothe me, as I'm clearly very upset. "Well... I still think it would be good for both of us... And I really wanted to explain what happened the other day. Can you think more about it and let me know?" Dalton nods seriously, and then smiles. "Hey, you know... We could always talk about it over dinner... Tonight, maybe?" I smile at him. "Dalton Louis Rapattoni... Is this a date?" He smirks. "Only if you want it to be..." "Then it's a date, then."

He hugs me close, and then places a single, chaste kiss on my lips. "Gotta hit the stage, I'll see you after the show. I'll come by your room around 7:00." And that's when my insides pretty much fully melted. Literally, I'm a pile of goo right now. I watch as Dalton runs to the stage in response to the cheering fans. He greets them, and then starts his first song. I listen for as long as I can before Taylor whisks me away for warm-ups. The song Dalton plays is called "Hercules", I think. It's really great...

I was weak
I was broken
I was tossed out in the ocean
I would cry
I would whimper
I would shake and I would shiver
I would sink
To the bottom
Among the wreckage and the flotsam
And when I reached
The ocean floor
I decided I won't take it anymore
So I swam and swam
Out of the deep
I crawled my way
Out of the sea
And I reached the land where I knew I belonged
And I was strong, I was so strong
And if there is a mountain I can make it move
If the sky is falling I can hold it for you
And I will keep on fighting 'til I make you see
I'm as strong as Hercules

"Hayley, we gotta warm up!" Taylor taps me on the shoulder, snapping me out of my Dalton-induced trance. "Okay, yeah. I'm coming." I sneak one more peek at Dalton while he's performing, and I realize that it's so natural for him. He barely even has to try to sound good. I wish it was that natural for me - I mean, it's easy for me now but only because of the years of experience I've had. Dalton, on the other hand, is the kind of performer that just seems to ooze talent, instead of having to cultivate it. I'm jealous, sure. But I also admire him a whole lot - he's also a sweet soul. And his kissable lips don't hurt either...

Dalton's POV:

"Thanks so much you guys! I'll see you tomorrow for our epic final show of the 2016 Parahoy cruise!" I walk off the stage waving to the crowd, and give Hayley a hug as she makes her way to the stage. "Don't forget, I'm making reservations for 7:00. Meet me there." I breathe that reminder into her ear and watch as her eyes light up. "I'm really looking forward to it!"

"Dalton!" I see Dean ambling over to me, with immediate eye-contact. "I hope you've given what I said some serious consideration..." I nod my head. "Absolutely. I'm talking it over with Hayley tonight." Dean nods. "Good, I'm glad to hear that. Dalton, you know I really am so proud of all you've accomplished... you've come a long way since that shy twelve-year-old who walked into School of Rock with lessons his Nina bought for him!" I smile at the thought.

My Nina (as I like to call her) had bought me guitar lessons at the height of my struggle with bipolar disorder. I was homeschooled as a result of my disorder and didn't get to make a lot of friends. And I definitely wasn't interested in playing a sport. So School of Rock offered a social outlet for me where I never had one before. And that's why I'm the biggest champion for music education - I know there are plenty of kids like me who aren't into sports but need something fun to do after school. And I know for a fact that I would not be who I am today had I not joined the School of Rock.

"Thank you, Dean. I'm really grateful for all you have done for me as well!" I smile at him, but I secretly resent him putting these ideas into my head about fan problems that may or may not ever happen. Right now, al I can think about is Hayley. I read somewhere that being in love is scientifically proven to make a person less productive. So that explains why I can't think of anything but her... and maybe that means I'm in love?!