Where you're from

Hayley's POV:

I couldn't believe what just happened. I walk right out of Dalton's room, not even bothering to pull my hood over my bright neon hair. Fans could probably see me from across the entire boat, but I'm too high on hormones to care at the moment. I barely get halfway down the hallway before I hear some yelling coming from Dalton's room. Crap. That's so obviously about me. I half walk / half run to Taylor and Zac's room - I gotta talk this out, and who better than my honorary bros?

I get to their door and catch my breath, still trying to slow down my heartbeat. Man, that Dalton is something.

"Hey Hayley!" Taylor smiles at me but I breeze past him, and close the door behind me.

"I KISSED DALTON!" His eyes widen. "Woah... When did this happen?" "Well, I went over to his room to talk to him, like you guys said to." Taylor nods. "Okay..."

"Woah, what'd I miss?!" Zac emerges from the bathroom with his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth. "Hayley made out with Dalton!" His toothbrush falls to the floor. "Whaaaaaat. Spill. Everything!" He plops down on the bed next to me where I was sitting.

"I went over to talk to him and sort everything out, and then things... Happened. We were just talking, I was trying to get the words out, and then he was sassing me like he does. And then I kissed him... And he didn't pull away."

Taylor and Zac seems to be still in shock. "Wow, Hayley, that's a new personal record. And you met this guy yesterday!" I nod my head sheepishly. "How long did you kiss for?" I bite my lip. "Until Will walked in on us." They both exchange glances. "Ouch, that's rough. Wow." I nod. "Yeah, it is. And I'm pretty sure I heard them arguing the minute I walked out. What if I ruined things between them?" Taylor shakes his head. "Well, they might be a little tense for a day or two but they'll patch it up. It had to have happened eventually - it's not something you should blame yourself for." "Yeah, I guess... but for the record, I never really wanted to be with Will. He seems nice enough but he's too clingy, definitely not my type, and just reminds me of every other obsessed fan that wants to date me. Nothing about him feels real to me. So there's really no dilemma..." Taylor nods. "So, it's Dalton?" "Yeah... So far I think it could be... heading that way."

"So..." Zac looks at Taylor. "Do you need us to beat up Will?" "What?!? Of course not." "Okay. But we'll always protect you from annoying fans... just say the word!" I nod my head. "I'll keep that in mind if things get too creepy..." But I winked so they wouldn't get too carried away.

Dalton's POV:

"Dalton! What the heck happened in here?!?" Will is staring me down, his eyes filled with pain. I can't believe he's that hurt. I knew he liked her as a super fan but I didn't fully understand that he was absolutely serious about wanting to date her. I could've sworn anything he felt for her was just skin deep. Then again, I barely know her either... so what's the difference? Music? Shared emotions? Maybe... But is it enough?

"Dalton, I'm waiting..." I take a deep breath. "Will, I swear I never thought anything would happen! I was just sassing her, and then she kissed me." "Well did you stop it? Did you tell her to stay away?" I shrug my shoulders. "Well, no, because we talked about this! I thought we'd let her decide..." Will's head is in his hands. "But I - I didn't think you were going to kiss her right away! Ughhhhh..."

"Dude, I'm so sorry. But I really like her, and I can't help but think that maybe you're misreading your fan status as wanting to date her." Will opens his mouth, but then realization hits his face and he closes it. "Well, I really don't know anymore. If that's true, then why does this hurt so much! And what right do you have to tell me what I'm feeling?" "I don't have any right at all, I'm trying to figure this out too."

That continues for a good hour or so, until both of us are tired of yelling and just need to calm down.

Will nods his head slowly. "Well, I'm still upset." "Okay..." "I need to clear my head. I'll be around. See you at the show in a bit." I look at the clock and realize that it's almost 11:30. The show starts in half an hour and I haven't even sound checked! Sure enough, there a handful of texts from Dean on my phone. I panic for a minute, but then throw on some stage-worthy clothes really fast, grab my guitar, and head to the stage. Maybe performing will clear my head.

"Dalton! Where were you? The show starts in twenty-five minutes and you haven't even sound checked yet!" "I uh, had to handle something, sorry Dean! But I'm here now." He nods but still seems frustrated. "Well, luckily the settings appear to be virtually untouched since yesterday's show, so it shouldn't take too long. But please be more prompt in the future..." I nod politely and sit on the stage, following directions from the sound guy.

I play through my 30-minute set, but my heart just isn't in it like it usually is. Or maybe I'm really into it, considering what happened in the last twenty-four hours. It's been a whirlwind, really. I wonder if Hayley is as rattled as I am about it all.