Chapter Sixteen: The Hunt

The afternoon sun cast three looming shadows on the barren sand like claw marks. The heat swirled out of the ground distorting the distant horizon into a watery focus.

Mounted on a roan steed was a dark haired mage, his unshaved face was dotted with perspiration but devoid of expression. His hair captured in a half knot emphasized his angular features and high cheekbones.

With eyes closed and his body slumped in the saddle, a vulnerable shell heedless to the burning discomfort around them, he concentrated, sorting through the air for touches of magic, traveling farther and farther away into the distance.

It was a difficult skill, honed only by the most devoted and self-giving to the Craft; moreover the distinguishing quality of a Pathfinder, and Owen Rokenar was a true Master.

Magic pulsed through him, projecting his essence out to feel another's magic, to learn their particular pattern and texture. He extended his reach, unconcerned over the state of his body, cautious not to alert his target that a Pathfinder was tracking them.

Through an ethereal plane, he flew across the desert sands faster than any creature, recognizing a multitude of color patterns for what life forms they were. His direction was steady as magic guided him, pulling him towards it.

With black eyes as sharp as a hawk's, Eri watched her brother's posture closely, careful to note any change in his breathing. She was bronzed-skinned and raven-haired like her brother, an easy summation to any onlooker.

Her otherwise delicate features and sinewy frame disguised her lethalness with the twin blades at her hips. A mistake others had made and paid the price for it. She spared a darting glance to her right. Still, there was more she could learn from her friend and mentor, Tezaro.

Shortly after their encounter in the market of Morid, Eri had reunited him with his friend Owen. Her years training under Tezaro's tutelage had formed a familial bond between the three.

They had been present the night Tezaro had learned of his brother's death. And now with unspoken words, they were brought together by destiny to reaffirm their bonds regardless of their tattered state.

"This girl knows who is responsible for Larn's death?" Eri's voice was sharp, but still could not penetrate her brother's tranced state.

Tezaro shook his head slightly. "But she will guide me to those who do." He glanced at his comatose friend willing him to hurry. He was more than anxious to find Aurora. If he was right, the elf she was with was not to be trusted.

Eri was about to ask more, but Master Rokenar's body stirred and he spoke.

"There is an energy heading towards the Murmurwoods. The magical energy around her is raw but surprisingly strong. It feels very similar to this shard." He returned it to Tezaro. "Almost identical."

Had any other said that, Tezaro would have doubted the observation. "Is there anything to it?"

"I'm not certain. Every living being has their own texture, or 'feel' to their aura. But I have never encountered a situation where the texture is so similar to another, much less a physical manifestation." Master Rokenar motioned to the shard.

"Is that why Anthonias sent you to find her?" Eri looked out to the northern horizon.

Tezaro remained silent before spurring his russet horse forward. Knowing his friend Owen needed to recover fully from his trance, Tezaro did not set of at a gallop as he truly wished.

Still, unaccustomed to being ignored, Eri snorted and used a different tactic as she approached Tezaro followed gently by her brother.

"Well, I am impressed with her. Afterall, how many can say they have escaped under the watchful eye of the great Protector of Armindia?" She continued to mock him. "Feared throughout the continent, Defender of the Defenseless, Master of---"

The Crossing (Book One)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara