Prologue

"That's it. The bakery."

My best friend Jessie slammed a menu down in front of me, completely blocking off the last sentence of the book I was reading.

"And?" I grumbled, shutting my book and setting it down on the table in front of me. She pointed at the menu again with a sigh.

"Your parents said you needed a summer job. This is it." I started to shake my head, but stopped mid way when I saw what was on the menu.

"Oh, god. They have the raspberry filled Twinkies! Did you see this? Did you?" I gasped, slapping my hand on the picture of the pastry. My best friend rolled her dark eyes and smiled.

"You and your crazy obsessions." She said with a quiet laugh, "And the best treat will be working with you." I frowned at her words, lifting my head up.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Doughboy is owned by the Banks. That means that Bennett works there." She threw herself into the chair across from me and stole a french fry off my plate.

"Bennett? Isn't he that kid that has like no friends and hates the world?" I could vaguely remember the quiet boy that sat behind me in a few of my classes, it had come to the point where he had almost blended into the scenery.

"Yeah, him. But he is like so your type." She waved her hand, signaling for a waiter. I rolled my eyes as I pulled my glasses off and laid them on top of my book.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snapped. She giggled and swirled a french fry in front of my face.

"It means that you totally go for those jerks because you think you can change them." She replied, kicking her feet up on to the empty chair beside her.

"I can." I said confindently, "You remember that little jerk that kept pulling my hair in kindergarden. He totally has a girlfriend because of me." I grinned, pointing at my chest. She laughed at me, holding up her hand.

"He was six, Syd. He probably had a crush on you or something." She responded.

"What about that Dwight kid in middle school? He was like the biggest jerk and school and I'm the one that helped him come to the realization that he was gay." She shook her head.

"I don't know if I'd be proud of that." She shot back.

"Okay, and what about Allan West last year? He was a total player until we got together. And you know I had my little birdies that alert me if he's ever with another girl or anything." She sighed, propping her head up on her hand.

"I love how confident you are with fixing people, Sydney. I really love it. But Bennett Banks isn't going to be like that. He's. . . he's just a little strange, that's all. I don't want to see you get hurt." She laid her hand on top of mine, the mood changing within seconds.

"Everyone has their breaking point, Jess. Even Bennett. Everyone hits a point where they can't help but start to realize at least one good thing about life." I explained, patting her hand gently. Her caramel hair had fallen into her eyes, but she didn't make any attempt to move it.

"Just be careful, Syd. Okay?" She asked. I glanced down at the menu in front of me, at the job I'd be applying for tomorrow morning.

"I promise, Jess." I whispered, smiling, "I promise I'll be careful."

***AN***

Hope you enjoyed!

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24