~4~ Mr. Pessimist and Ms. Optimist

I walked into work on Monday with a new wave of confidence.

I had broken Bennett down to at least somehow getting my number and sending me a text. It seemed ridiculous and not that big of a deal to Jess, but it was a huge deal to me. Even if it was small, it was still a fracture in Bennett's hard shell and I was going to take what I could get.

"You look happy today." Tristan commented when he heard the bell above me ring.

"I am." I answered, reaching for my apron as I swung around the corner and behind the counter.

"Why? Did Ms. Optimistic finally break down Mr. Pessimist?" He asked, a joking tone in his voice as he glanced over at me. I shoved a five dollar bill into the register before taking a cupcake from the case.

"Haven't you heard that opposite's attract?" I asked, smiling as I unwrapped the paper from the cupcake. Tristan rolled his eyes, laying one of his hands on my shoulder.

"Well, Ms. Optimist, I hate to inform you, but Ben isn't exactly someone that can't be broken down easily. Especially not when it comes to chicks." I frowned at his words, leaning down on the counter.

"What do you mean? Did some girl screw him over?" That would explain why he was such an ass to me.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." Tristan responded, looking over his shoulder to make sure Bennett wasn't listening, "But it isn't my place to tell you his business. If he wants you to know, then he'll let you know." I nodded, wanting to sigh.

I had been with a guy that got screwed over by his girlfriend sophomore year. He hadn't changed exactly, not with me at least, but the next year I found him with some French exchange student and they were still going strong now. So maybe, maybe I could squeeze what happened to Bennett to make him the way he was out of Tristan.

"Have you seen the way he talks to me? Tristan, come on, I just want to know why he treats me like absolute garbage." I gave him a pleading look, but he shook his head, dropping his head so he could pretend to read our order form down in front of him.

"It's not my place to tell you, Syd. I'm sorry." I sighed, propping my chin up on my hand as I watched the door for any customers.

It seemed like hours before someone actually came in around noon, then everyone seemed to come. From adults on lunch break to kids after a softball match, we were nearly out of the mixes by the time that Bennett showed up, looking as if he had just come back from a trip to Vegas.

His eyes were dark and had even darker bags under them. He was watching Tristan and me with a strange look on his face as he edged closer to the register.

"Slow day?" He guessed, gesturing toward the couple that sat in the back of the cafe.

"It was actually pretty busy, man. You look like shit." Tristan replied bluntly.

"Thanks, bro. I just got back from Daves for your information." My head perked up at the name.

"Daves? You mean the music shop a couple blocks away?" He nodded slowly, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"What's it to you?" He grumbled, back to his usual self.

"Nothing, I just. . . um. . . never mind." I sputtered, whirling around so neither of them could see just how embarrassed I was.

Why was I about to tell them where my ex worked? Why would they even care? Why did I even care?

"Now you've got me curious, Syd." Tristan said, nudging me with his elbow. I opened my mouth to spit out some lie when the bell rang from across the room, causing all of his to look up. I groaned, burying my face in my hands when I saw who it was.