~28~ Sydneys

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

104 days, over two hundred sticky notes, and a grin later, I have finally broke you. You aren't the same guy you were two months ago, and I'm happy every time I see the smile that lights up your face. To cut this short, I just waned to say thank you for an amazing summer. I love you, Bennett.

Love you,

Syd

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I tossed the letter into the trash bin a few feet away, feeling my mom and Mike's eyes on me.

"I'll just go to the University with Bennett. Obviously I'm not good enough for any of these schools." I gestured toward the pile of denied applications, trying to fight the tears in my eyes.

"Syd, honey. Don't think-"

"I know, Mom. I know what you're going to say and I don't want to hear it." I wiped my cheeks with the back of my hand, "Maybe it's for the better. I'll get to be with Bennett." She rubbed my shoulder, kissing the top of my head.

"Honey, you're one of the smartest people I know, and I'm not saying that just because I'm your mother. You were reading and writing way beyond your years at a young age. You were helping people before he were even able to walk." I nodded, leaning my head back against her.

"Thanks, Mom." She kissed my forehead and pushed my hair out of my eyes as Mike rested his hand on my shoulder and shot me a reassuring smile.

"Remember, Sydney." He said, "Good things always come to those who wait and appreciate what they already have."

*

I pushed the door to Sydneys open. I had tried so hard to talk Bennett out of naming the shop after me, but he had been so set on it that he didn't budge.

I crossed my arms over my chest on my way across the shop, finding Bennett covered in pale blue paint.

"You're doing a great job with the place." I whispered, startling him so he fell back off the ladder, tossing the paint brush to the ground so he could regain his balance.

"You scared the crap out of me, Syd. Why didn't you text me that you were coming? I thought you were going through all your colleges apps." He tried to pull me toward him, but I pushed his arm away with a laugh.

"I wanted to surprise you." I replied, "And I didn't get in anywhere." I said, forcing myself to keep the smile on my face.

"They're idiots, then." Bennett muttered.

"That's pretty much what Mom and Mike said." I answered.

"Hey, don't be upset about it. You can go to the University with me and try to apply again next year." I shrugged, pushing a lock of my red hair behind my ear.

"I don't even see a point anymore, Bennett. If they don't want me now, why would they want me then?" He took my chin in between his dry paint splattered fingers and frowned.

"Don't be so pessimistic. That's my job." He cracked a smile a second later, "They're probably just full and couldn't accept you right now. Just promise me you'll try again next summer." He dropped his fingers from my chin and started to peel it from off. I stared at the freshly painted wall behind him a nodded slowly.

"I promise, Bennett." And I'd try to keep the promise as long as I could without feeling as if it were useless.

*