~1~ Here's Some Advice, Cupcake

The sound of me unwrapping the wrapper on my cupcake echoed throughout the vacant lot.

I glanced skeptically around once more before tearing a piece of the cupcake and heading toward the hot pink building in front of me.

Sometimes I would question of the color of Doughboy's was the reason for it's nationwide popularity.

It stuck out like a sore thumb with all the dull and lifeless buildings that were in this boring town.

"Closed?" I whispered, pulling another piece of the cupcake off and shoving it into my mouth as I tried to peek inside the building.

Mr. and Mrs. Banks had told me to be here at around seven, which for me, was too early to wake up during summer break. Especially to just stand outside and wait for them to come and unlock the doors.

"Maybe you should knock." I said quietly to myself, bringing my hand up and gently tapping on the window. I saw a shadow move across the ground, but no one opened the door.

Seriously? Was someone in there and completely ignoring me? Maybe they thought I was an early bird customer or something.

"It's me!" I said, "It's Sydney Hale!" I tossed my wrapper into the trash as I heard the bell go off inside. After a second the door was pushed open and I was greeted by an annoyed stare.

"Can I help you?" Bennett asked, giving me a quick once over before looking away. I shrugged, gesturing toward the building.

"Your parents wanted me to be here at seven." I said. He narrowed his dark blue eyes at me.

"Who are you?"

"Sydney Hale." I replied, "I'm your new co-worker." I smiled and held my hand out, but he only stared at it in disgust.

"We don't need any more workers. You can leave, Sydney." He started to close the door again, shaking his head. I jumped forward and threw myself in the way of it.

"Where are your parents?" I questioned, looking over his shoulder and into the shop.

"They-"

"Oh, Sydney! Hello!" Mrs. Banks echoed just as loud as my wrapper had around the empty parking lot, earning her a dirty look out of her son.

"Hi." I waved, returning her smile. She wrapped her arm around Bennett's shoulders and hugged him against her.

"I hope Ben wasn't being too rude. He's a little moody in the morning." She ruffled his dark brown hair with a smirk. I felt my smile starting to drop when I saw how miserable he looked.

"Mom, stop." He groaned, pulling away and sulking back into the shop. She sighed as she watched after him, crossing her arms tightly over her chest.

"He's a really good kid, I promise. He just has to warm up to you." Even as she said it, I could see the doubt in her green eyes. I nodded and waited for her to let me in, listening in silence as she explained everything.

"You've already looked over the menu, so I'm sure I don't have to go over that. You're shifts will last from eight to four. If you have to cancel or anything, let Ben, David, or me know." I nodded as I followed her back behind the counter.

"On Mondays, Wednesday's, and Friday's you will be working with Bennett during the day. The other two days you will be working with another one of our workers." I nodded again, taking the apron she was holding out to me.

"And the most important thing for us here at Doughboy's is good attitude." She sent her son a glare, "Even if you feel like you're having a really crappy day, which we all do, I hope you can try and still put up a nice front." I grinned, leaning back against the counter.

"That's it." She held out her hand and pointed at the Open sign over my head. Bennett rolled his eyes but walked over and flipped it, propping the door open a second later.

"Now I've gotta run, but I hope to see good things from you when I get back, Sydney!" She ducked into the back before I could thank her or respond.

I turned around and leaned on to the counter, glancing at the amazing pastries that Bennett had started to pull out of the fridge behind him.

"The hot ones come out in ten minutes." He said, obviously feeling my eyes on him.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket before I could try and spark up another conversation. I pulled it out and shook my head as I answered it.

"What do you need, Jess?" I asked.

"I wanted to see how your first day was going." She responded, her voice muffled.

"I haven't started yet. What about your day? How has it been so far?" I replied, seeing Bennett shake his head about something out of the corner of my eye.

"Abel is coming over to help me babysit my idiot little brother. So that should be fun." I laughed at her words, nodding to myself.

"It should be. How is Abel around seven year olds?" I heard her say something to someone before she responded.

"He's pretty good around him, I guess. But it's safe to say that he probably won't ever want kids of his own."

Abel Hendricks was your stereotypical high schooler. He was quiet, kept a low profile and drifted around to different groups. Jess had accidentally knocked him off the monkey bars in fifth grade and they had been best friends, then boyfriend and girlfriend, ever since.

"I better go." I finally said, "I don't want to get in trouble for being on the phone the first day." She laughed quietly on the other end.

"All right, good luck, Syd. Call me right after, got it?"

"Yep." She said another quiet goodbye, then hung up. I slipped my phone into my back pocket, lifting my head up slowly to see if anyone was coming to the door.

"When do you guys usually get busy?" I asked Bennett as he slipped behind me to take the hot pastries out of the oven.

"Around noon." He mumbled, "We usually are pretty dead until then. So I'd find something to do." He slipped passed me again with the tray in his hands setting it on top of the display.

"What do you usually do?" I raised an eyebrow, watching as he slid the pastries into their proper place.

"Keep my mouth shut." He growled. "Maybe you should try it sometime."

I kept quiet until I was sure he was done with setting up the display.

"Why are you such an ass?" I regretted what I said the minute it left my mouth.

He whirled around, his blue eyes flickering with anger.

"The reason I'm an ass is because of people like you." He brushed passed me and started to walk back toward the bathrooms. "Here's some advice, Cupcake. Stay the hell away from me. I know what you do, Hale. I know how you believe that there's a little good in everyone. But, sweetheart there is absolutely no good in me." He disappeared, not allowing me to get a word in as he disappeared.

I sighed and buried my face in my hands. This is only the first day and I'm positive that Bennett, the guy I'm going to be spending most of my summer with, already hates me.

I knew exactly what I was going to say to Jessie when she asked about my job later.

This is going to be a long summer.

***AN***

Not Edited

Hope you enjoyed!

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24