~16~ I Seriously Need Some Therapy Cake

Dear Mr. Pessimist,

Do you ever see your own smile? Do you see the way your whole face lights up, the way your beautiful blue eyes shine, when you do? Try doing it sometime.

And I left another note in here for you to read, once you read it, send me a text and meet me at the location listed.

With love,

Sydney

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

"What's got you smiling like you just won the lottery?" Mom asked when I walked through the front door. I shut the door gently behind me, surprised to find her sitting on the couch beside a man I'd never seen before.

"Nothing." I said, dropping my stuff on to the couch and avoiding my mom's eyes as I headed for the kitchen. I grabbed a bottle of water, turning around to find her standing a few feet away.

"It's a boy, isn't it?" She said, smiling, "I know that smile, sweetheart. I had it once too." She pushed a lock of my hair out of my eyes as they flickered to the man watching the movie in the living room.

"So there's this guy who-"

"So it is a guy?" My mom said, smirking, as if she had just cracked the code to unlocking something huge. I nodded, pulling her into the kitchen.

"Anyway, he's kind of an ass, a pessimist. I've been leaving him those sticky notes you keep buying at the store, telling him why he should smile more and stuff like that. And I think I've started to get through to him." I explained, feeling a little like I was blabbering.

"That's wonderful sweetheart! You're so sweet." She squeezed my hand before leaning forward and giving me a knowing look, "are you sure you aren't keeping a little something else from me?"

I stared at her for a second, trying to decide whether I should tell her or not. After all, she knew me well enough to know that I was keeping something from her, so she'd eventually figure out what happened or keep assuming things that hadn't.

"He kissed me." I said quickly, regretting it when I saw her face light up.

"Sydney, sweetie, that's great! Are you going to bring him home so I can me-"

"Oh, no. Mom, we aren't dating or anything. He. . . he did it without thinking. He regretted it and-"

She laid her hand gently over my mouth with a quiet chuckle.

"Sit down for a second, Syd." I was about to tell her I wanted to go to my room, but decided against it and sat down. This was one of the few times my mom had tried to make a big attempt to ask what was going on in my life, and I wasn't going to let it pass by.

"Your father wasn't exactly a sweet person when I met him. Sure, he wasn't pessimistic, but he was kind of a player and hated the thought of settling down with me. Maybe he was scared, he never stuck around long enough for me to know." My mom said. I stared at her in horror, blinking in surprise. This was the first time I'd heard this.

"But the more I pestered him, the more I came around and talked to him, the more I believed he started to like me. And one night, during our last year of high school, he talked me into losing my virginity to him." She glanced out the window, "and I agreed. I found out about you a month or so later, but I didn't tell him." I watched as she sighed and shook her head.