Chapter Four

wow two chapter in one night?! that deserves an award! how about some voiting and commenting???:) pretty please?:)

-liz

Chapter Four- Tristan Kane

I had just gotten comfortable in bed. You know when you are so close to falling asleep. Yeah, I was just about to fall asleep when I heard a piercing scream from Claire’s nursery. I groaned before throwing off the covers and climbing out of bed. I walked down the hall and into Claire’s room. I sighed before picking her up and setting her on my hip jumping her up and down and murmuring in her ear. This had been going on every night since she came to stay with me. 

“Shhhh baby girl, you’re okay. Daddy’s got you.” I froze when I realized what I had said. I’m not Claire’s daddy. I’m Claire’s uncle. Claire had started crying again when I had stopped bouncing her. I quickly started bouncing her again and saying the same thing. This time I said uncle instead of daddy. Once I had gotten Claire to settle down I gently set her back on her bed. As soon as my hand left her torso she burst out into tears again. I sighed before picking her up and walking to the living room and plopping us both down onto the couch. Scout woke up and padded over to us. I flipped the T.V. on to the news and waited until Claire fell asleep. 

~*~

I woke up to the sound of camera clicks. I tried to ignore it but when there was a flash of light I opened my eyes, standing right in the middle of my living room with a camera in hand stood Bryce. I threw a pillow hoping I hit his face before closing my eyes again.

“Come on man! We got practice today!” Bryce shouted. I mumble a ‘go away’ before throwing a shoe at him. 

“No can do buster. You’re already late to practice as it is. Coach sent me to get you.” That got my attention. I jumped up keeping a tight hold of Claire. Claire woke up to the sudden movement and started crying at the top of her lungs. I switched her to my other hip and started bouncing her trying to get her to calm down. I glanced at my watch. Shoot! I started bouncing Claire faster hoping she would calm down. It only upset her more. 

“Gah! Here Bryce!” I quickly handed Claire to Bryce and rushed to my room pulling on a pair of sweats and a shirt. I grabbed my duffel bag and headed to the bathroom quickly brushing my teeth. After that I ran to the kitchen pulling on a pair of socks while running. I grabbed a granola bar, unwrapped it and shoved it into my mouth. Using my now free hands I quickly pulled on my shoes and socks before heading back to the living room. I quickly fed Scout and went to go get Claire from Bryce and get dressed. I burst out into laughter when I saw how Bryce was holding Claire. Bryce was holding Claire away at arm’s length with the funniest expression on his face while Claire was still crying. I took Claire from Bryce and headed to her room to get her dressed.

“Since when do you have a kid?” Bryce asked confused as I changed Claire’s diaper and dressed her in a dress with leggings on. I grabbed one of her coats and her shoes and socks. I put her shoes on with a struggle, forcing her arms into her coat I grabbed her teddy bear handing it to her hoping she would calm down. Thank goodness she did. 

“Long story I’ll explain later.” I said while grabbing my keys and rushing out to my car. Bryce followed me jumping into the front seat while I buckled Claire in. Claire sat like a good little girl hugging her teddy to her chest. After Claire was buckled I hopped into the front seat. I pulled up Rachel’s contact information and handed my phone to Bryce.

“Will you call her and put her on speaker?” I asked as I pulled out of my driveway. Bryce looked at me confused before doing as he was told. 

“Hello?” Rachel picked up on the third ring, whispering.

“Hey Rach, It’s me Tristan. What are you up to?” I asked in a rushed voice. 

“Uh, well I’m kind of at Church right now. Why? What are you up to?” Rachel asked suspiciously. 

“Well you see, it’s kind of a funny story. But I need a favor.” The other end was quiet before Rachel asked what it was. 

“Can you please babysit Claire? I have to go to practice and I’m already late as it is. Please!” I said dragging out the S. Rachel didn’t say anything.

“I’m at church right now. And I have to go to work right after I eat lunch.” She explained. Crap.

“Can you call in sick? Please I’m begging you! Please, Please, Please!!” I begged. She was quiet before she hesitantly agreed. I told her that I would drop her off at her place. Rachel quickly said she would come pick Claire up, I told her I was already in the car, Rachel sighed before agreeing and giving me her address. When Rachel gave me her address I was taken aback. 

“Why do you live in that part of town? It’s not safe.” I all but shouted. Rachel quickly shot back that it was none of my business and that it was perfectly safe. I knew better. It was anything but safe. 

I pulled into the apartment complex and I saw her old truck. I unbuckled Claire from her car seat and started climbing up the stairs to Rachel’s apartment. As I was going up the stairs I noticed that the walls were thin and you could hear everything that was going on in the apartments around you, the white paint was chipping, and the windows in the hallway were dirty and some were cracked. I got to the end of the hall and stood in front of a wooden door that was falling of the hinges. This couldn’t be it. Rachel didn’t live in a dump. I had only known her for a week or so but I knew she couldn’t live here. I double checked that it was B7. It was. 

I hesitantly knocked on the door; not wanting to knock to hard and it fall of the hinges. I heard a pitter patter of feet before Rachel opened the door. Rachel was wearing baggy sweats that hung off her and a tank top; it was then that I realized I could count every one of her ribs through her tank top. She was thin!

“Come on in.” Rachel said motioning us in. I hadn’t realized until now that Bryce was following behind me. 

“Hey, I’m Bryce.” Bryce introduced himself and Rachel did the same. I walked into Rachel’s apartment and noticed how bad it really was. There was a trash bag duct taped where a window should have been. There were no doors on any of the rooms except for a curtain which is what I guessed is where the bathroom was. Her kitchen alone was as big as my bathroom and the fridge door was falling off. The paint on her walls was chipped and there was only about three pieces of furniture. An old couch that looked like it was falling apart sat in what must be the living room. A table that looked much the same as the couch sat in the kitchen and there was one wooden seat that was missing a leg. 

“Well it sure is a dump in here.” Bryce stated as if he was saying water was wet. Rachel froze before looking at the ground and nodding her head in shame. I slapped the back of Bryce’s head. 

“Ow! What was that for?” Bryce complained. Rachel pulled out a chipped glass from a cupboard that had no door; she filled it with water from the sink. There must have been another crack in the glass because it started leaking water and Rachel quickly covered with her hand. 

“Do you guys want anything to drink? I only have water, sorry.” Rachel said ashamed. 

“Uh, no I think we’re good. We have to head out anyways. Thanks for watching Claire for me. I’ll be back as soon as I can. Uh, call me if there’s an emergency.” I said while scratching the back of my neck nervously. Rachel nodded before talking the diaper bag from me and setting it on the table, than took Claire. After a few short words Bryce and I pretty much flew from the horrible place. Soon we were in my sports car flying out of the uneven parking lot and heading to practice. 

“Who was that?” Bryce asked. I shrugged before telling him that it was a new found friend of mine. After that we rode in silence all the way across town before getting to practice.