Chapter Eighteen

so here it is! while you guys voted fast!

Chapter Eighteen- Tristan Kane

I’m a terrible father! I shouted in my head to myself while thumping my fist on my sport’s cars black steering wheel. How could I just forget that my baby girl was home alone all by herself! How could I just forget about her. The little girl that had me wrapped around her finger so quickly. How could I just forget?

I raced home as fast as I could, breaking every speeding law known to man and I was quite surprised that I didn’t get pulled over. As I rushed home all I could think about was the well being of my baby girl.  Thankfully the hospital was not to far away when going twenty miles over the speed limit. I was able to make it back to my apartment in less then twenty minutes. As I pulled into the parking lot of my apartment building I didn’t even bother trying to actually park, I ended up parking crazy and taking up three spaces. I quickly sprinted into the building and up the stairs thankful that I was in shape. I quickly made it to my apartment only to notice the door was wide open. My mind stopped. My heart stopped. All I could think about was my baby. 

As I entered in the apartment I was on edge. What if Claire had been kidnapped? What if she was hurt? What if she was being held ransom? Well the last was really no problem, I would pay anything just to know my baby girl was safe. I quickly but stealthily made my way to Claire’s room. The light was on and the crib was empty. I completely lost it. 

“Claire!?” I shouted.

“Clair-” I tried shouting again but was cut off at the sound of another’s voice. 

“You don’t need to worry Tristan. Claire is quite safe.” The voice said. I quickly recognized her as Claire’s social worker. The one who said she would be evaluating me to see if I was fit to be a legal guardian for Claire, the one who would be stopping by unexpectedly. 

“Oh thank goodness my baby's alright.” I nearly shouted when I saw Claire tucked safely in the crook of Mrs. Mackenzie’s arms. As I reached out for my child Mrs. Mackenzie took a hasty step away. 

“I'm so disappointed Mr. Kane. I really thought you would turn out to be a good legal guardian for little Claire. But I’m afraid I was wrong.” Mrs. Mackenzie said. 

“What do you mean?” I asked scared that she would be taken away. Mrs. Mackenzie shook her head. 

“I’m sorry Mr. Kane but you are not fit to be Claire’s legal guardian. I’m going to have to take her with me.”

“What? Why!” I asked panicking. She couldn’t take Claire away from me! she just couldn’t! It wasn’t right! You can’t take away a child from her only remaining family. 

“I’m sorry Mr. Kane but leaving a child unattended is not suitable. No matter what the age. Not to mention it is illegal.” Mrs. Mackenzie said. 

“It was only for a few minutes and I’m here now!” I shouted trying to hold my child. Mrs. Mackenzie just took another step away from me. 

“Stop moving away from me _____! I just want to hold my baby girl!” Mrs. Mackenzie just shook her head refusing to let me hold my baby. 

“Please.” I begged holding out my arms. 

“Please, just let me hold my baby girl.” Mrs. Mackenzie saw the pain and grief on my face. 

“I’m so sorry I have to do this to you Mr. Kane. I truly believe but you would make a good father for her but I just can’t over look this. Claire will be staying here tonight and I will be here to pick her up tomorrow morning at nine.” Mrs. Mackenzie said releasing Claire and letting me hold my precious little girl. I held Claire tight to me burying my head into the little hair she had and breathed her in. I couldn’t believe the most precious thing in my whole life would be taken away from me in just a few short hours. Mrs. Mackenzie excused herself  giving me and Claire our time alone but not before reminding me that she would be gone tomorrow. 

“My sweet baby. My sweet baby girl.” I whispered in her ear, not even bothering to try and wipe the warm salty tears that were rolling down my cheek away. I held Claire close to me not letting her leave my arms. Even when Claire slept I didn’t release her from my arms. I stayed awake all night just savoring the feeling of my beautiful baby girl in my arms, knowing that as soon as morning came my precious child would be taken away from me. All because of a stupid mistake I made. It was my fault.

That night I didn’t sleep, I refused to let my eyes shut knowing this would be the last of me and my baby. 

“Daddy loves you baby girl. Daddy loves you so much and I’m so sorry baby girl. I’m so sorry.” I sobbed hugging her closer to me trying to make the moment last. 

The next morning I still had yet to sleep a wink. The sun was well up in the sky but I refused to check the time. I refused to wallow on how much time I had left with my baby. Claire was gently starting to stir. Claire brought her chubby little hand and balled it up and rubbed her little fist over her blue eyes. 

“Good morning princess.” I said while brushing her wisps of blonde curly hair away from her beautiful face. Claire replied with some baby nonsense, but she was smiling. And her smile immediately brought a smile to my face. 

All to soon there was a knock at the door. No! it couldn’t be that late in the day! No! I quickly glanced at the clock hanging on the wall. Nine o’clock on the dot. I begrudgingly stood up with Claire in my arms. I wouldn’t let her go. I slowly padded down the wooden hallway in my white socks. I hugged Claire closer. 

“Daddy loves you.” I said to Claire praying she wouldn’t forget how much I loved her. As I opened the door I saw Mrs. Mackenzie standing there stiff as a pole. 

“Good morning Tristan.” Mrs. Mackenzie said her voice lacking emotion. I nodded my head refusing to say anything. Mrs. Mackenzie followed me down the hallway to my little girl’s room. I packed a small duffel bag with Claire’s clothes in it still refusing to release her. Mrs. Mackenzie plopped herself down in the rocking chair that I rocked Claire to sleep in every night. I set the duffel bag of clothes down and started packing a large duffel bag full of Claire’s favorite toys. As I was finishing up packing her toys Mrs. Mackenzie gently laid her hand on my shoulder and handed me Claire’s favorite toy, Mr. Teddy. Mr. Teddy was the first toy I had ever given Claire. Mr. Teddy was a snuggly teddy bear that Claire slept with every night. I didn’t want to pack him so I gently handed him over to Claire. Claire quickly pulled Mr. Teddy from my hands and started jumping up in down in my arms while talking in her adorable baby language. I smiled at her and played with her too. 

“Tristan, I know this is hard but Claire and I really need to leave soon. I need to get her to her new foster parents soon.” I swallowed back my tears and hugged Claire to me even tighter. I gently ran my fingertips across her soft cheek. I gave Claire a kiss on her forehead no longer being able to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall. 

“Daddy loves you Claire. Daddy loves you so much.” I said giving her a kiss on the forehead once again before handing her over to Mrs. Mackenzie. Mrs. Mackenzie took her to the doorway as I carried her bags. I gently handed the bags to her before giving Claire one last hug and whispering daddy loves her  once again. Just as Mrs. Mackenzie was taking Claire away Claire turned her beautiful head back towards me. 

“Da da!” Claire shouted. 

“Da da!” Claire shouted once again reaching for me as crocodile tears fell from her beautiful eyes. 

“Daddy loves you baby! Daddy loves you so much!”

“Daddy!” Claire screamed saying daddy correctly this time. She screamed and thrashed in Mrs. Mackenzie’s arms. It was physically painful to see her in so much pain. I leaned against the doorframe and slowly fell to the ground as I watched my baby girl being taken away from me. Not my baby, I thought to myself. Not my baby! I sobbed.