My Mate, Liam

Liam's POV

A sort of day before Celeste's crash (A/N: It was in the middle of the night.)

Sitting in my new office, my dad's old one, made me feel disappointed in the way my life had suddenly plunged lately. Nothing seemed to fit the right way in my life anymore. This isn't supposed to be how our lives were supposed to go.

Dad and Mom were supposed to grow older and then step down when I had found my mate. Samantha was supposed to be my innocent, gullible, little sister and find her mate. I was supposed to be in the office, ruling my pack with my mate and parents standing beside me until they die from old age.

But no. No, Dad had to personally check out a rogue problem and be murdered. Mom suffered through her loss of her mate in the most painful of way, living. She did the best she could until she stepped into a depressed, just not-feeling state that scared the heavens out of me. Samantha shouldn't have gotten pregnant... at least not without even meeting her mate. And I wasn't supposed to be in this office, running my family's pack, without my family.

"Liam, I know it's only been a month, and you haven't had proper time to grieve over your father, but this pack needs an Alpha and Luna. You and your sister have to step up and show your pack there's still hope," my grandmother, Marcie, told me as I sat in my office thinking about my terrible, screwed up life.

I sighed and looked at her old, wrinkly face that had always been smiling throughout my life. Now, changed just like everything else in my life, there was a permanent frown.

"There will be a meeting tomorrow where we will both attend and accept the titles of Alpha and Luna. Until I find my mate, Sam will have to cancel her trip," I said, knowing Sam would thank me for it. When a werewolf hits the age of eighteen, they go on a trip to random packs in hope of finding their mates and it also keeps us packs united in a sort of way. Lending your own pack members to other packs and trusting that pack to keep them safe is a big issue with any pack, big or small.

"Is that absolutely necessary?" She asked. "Your sister has already been through enough, and now you want to take away the only chance of finding her mate as well?" I couldn't help but snort at her.

Now that our parents are mostly gone, with only a matter of time until Mom relapses without Dad, Samantha is my priority. Besides, without her, I wouldn't be able to be strong. And if she found and stayed with her mate in some far away pack, I would waste away.

"Well, I really don't want to go on the stupid trip anyways, so stop trying to speak for me, Gran," Samantha grumbled angrily, stomping into the office in her Hello Kitty shirt and combat boots. I smiled at her sense of style. That's probably one of the only thing that gets me to smile or laugh anymore.

"And, if it's really meant to be, then my mate will find me some other way. My place is here, with my family, as Luna." I looked at my little sister with pride and astonishment. How did she grow up so fast?

I then looked at her confused, "You were so excited for the chance to meet your mate before. What's wrong?" She looked at Gran, then at the ground silently.

"Oh," Gran said standing and heading out of the room, "I see how it is. I'll see you tonight at dinner, then." When the door was closed and locked behind her, Samantha sat in the chair Gran had abandoned in front of me.

"I'm scared," she said shakily, "With the pregnancy and what happened to Mom and Dad, I don't feel like me anymore. How can my mate fall in love with me like I am?"

"What are you like, Sam?" I asked not getting it. Even in her slightly depressed state after the funeral, her mate would be lucky to have her.

That question brought the waterworks. She let a few tears loose while I just stared. She's always acting so confident and OK lately. I stood up and pulled her up for a hug. She's the only one who makes me want to be strong. And now she's crying into my shoulder heavily.