Awakening

Liam's POV

Who the hell is Zachary?! Wolf asked furiously. I could feel his emotions hitting a breaking point that could affect me.

I closed my eyes, leaned my forehead against her bed, and clenched my hands in the sheets. Anger is the most prominent way to let your wolf out. It's the only emotion that can push one far enough to lose control.

As I tried to catch my breath and focus on not letting Wolf loose, I felt her hand brush against mine, sending sparks up and down my arm. She whimpered in her sleep and rolled over towards me, so her face was covered by her sunshine infused hair. I instantly pushed it away so I could look at her better. That was when I first noticed the scar on her neck.

The scar that came from a bite. The mating mark only soul-mates could give to each other when they finished the stages of the mating process. The one I feel the need to give her every time I touch her.

She's been claimed.

Wolf whimpered, hurt. His emotions swarmed me: pain, rejection, and betrayal were the most prominent. Why couldn't she wait for us? Did she not want a mate? Were we not good enough? What if-

I cut the connection, knowing if I didn't, he would very well take over and mark her as ours. I walked back and forth in the room beside her bed, thinking.

Jordan and Megan had wisely backed out of the room when they saw me in my state and I snarled at the ceiling. There had to be some kind of explanation. Any explanation where she wanted to be with me and I could finally have her in the end.

She mumbled something in her sleep again and I crouched down beside her bed and pressed my forehead against hers. I breathe a sigh when I heard her heart beat race and her breath catch. I had an effect on her as much as she did on me.

"Liam! Why the hell did you have to throw me under the bus like that? She started crying in the bathroom when she saw her reflection, and you know how awkward I am with children!"

I didn't answer her just so I wouldn't have to look away from my mate. Her hair was like sunshine infused within it, capturing her face in shining strands of golden light. Miracle was so much like her, almost identical... But her eyes. Her eyes were different. From someone else. A mystery that I have tried to stay away from until my Beta found information on them and who was Miracle's... father. Which means my mate did more than had a child, but someone marked her as theirs.

No. There's a reason. There has to be a reason. And it doesn't matter now anyways. She's here now. She was running away from someone and found us. The Moon Goddess has her ways; I know she does. Miracle is not a mistake and neither is them not dying in the accident. They're ours now, and we are not giving up on them, no matter what.

"Liam," Sam's voice was soft, as if she knew what I was thinking, "stop thinking about it. We'll figure it out and it'll be ok." She sighed when I didn't respond to her and sat down on the floor, leaning against my legs. "You've always been the religious one, so don't make me start sprouting all that on you. That's your thing."

I loved learning about how the Moon Goddess worked in mysterious, complicated ways to give a werewolf the life they deserved. All the romantic stories that should make a young boy disgusted, made me ecstatic for the day I met my mate. The day I'd get my chance to make someone as happy as my dad made my mom. So happy, she felt empty without him... But what if my mate was going through that with someone else?

All the theories in my head were bad. None of them a good enough excuse for Wolf. She could have been raped or drunk or accidentally fell for the wrong guy. She could have fallen in love with someone and they died or left her to raise Miracle up on her own. But why leave so many packs with a child with her? Every werewolf knows how twisted rules of the pack could be. An alpha could be kind and allow safe passage through his land, or one could capture anyone who as much thinks about stepping across the pack line. Werewolves, especially Alphas, are difficult to work with together. We're opinionated and stubborn and hardheaded enough to start a fight over the simplest things. So why would she-?