Mothers and Daughters

Celeste's POV:

About an hour from our destination, we were in the middle of nowhere and Miracle was asleep. We were in a rocky terrain which kept rocking the car ever so often, so I have no idea how she was sleeping.

Do you think it was her, Heaven? I blurted out, finally finding the courage to outright ask her.

If that was our mother, then that would mean she is alive. If she's alive, then that means she and Dad lied to us.

I do hope so. I want answers to those repressed memory flashes we kept having after she contacted us... If it is her...

I sighed and grabbed a Dr. Pepper from one of the bags. I must've grabbed it when I took all those waters. I'm glad though because I don't think we'd make it without some sugar in my system to keep driving until we're safe- well, safer.

I think we'll be safe here. The place we saw was... Heaven trailed off sounding wistful.

We were surrounded with mountains now, and I wouldn't be surprised if the road disappeared out from under us.

We should be almost there, Heaven tells me after I yawn for the millionth time.

As soon as she says that, a huge clearing comes into view, surrounded by the mountains. The road leads to an opening in the mountainside that looked too small to drive through.

I park the car and sit pouting at the entrance in front of me.

What's the hold up? Get going. Heaven demands impatiently.

I'm exhausted, Heaven. I don't want to walk and Miracle's asleep. She's a devil spawn whenever she gets waken up.

Get your ass up and get in there!

It took a few more wise words (and threats) from Heaven until I slumped forward and let out a defeated sigh before getting out of the car.

I grabbed an empty backpack and filled it up with a few waters and some snacks before sorting out some of Miracle's and my clothes into a bag that would be manageable to carry for a long while.

I regretted letting Heaven talk me into waking Miracle up. I stood awkwardly to the side and watched her breathing before shaking her awake.

"Miracle, baby, you need to get up. We need to walk for a while."

She squirmed in her car seat and squeezed her eyes shut before settling back into her seat.

"Miracle, we're here. Now, we have to walk for a while. You really need to get up, sweetie."

She groaned and squinted her eyes open just a bit before flat out saying, "No," and turning the other direction which wasn't very far considering she was in a car seat.

"Alright, you can stay here while I go and meet my mother who I thought was dead since I was a teen. I guess you really don't want to meet your grandmother for the first time or anything. You can stay here by yourself and make sure no one steals the car." I turn around and start walking towards the hole- cave- thing when I hear her cry out and scramble out of her seat.

"No, mommy. That's not nice," she pouted at me as she grabbed my hand and followed me inside the cave. It was so dark; I couldn't breathe. I was getting scared.

I started searching through the bag I brought for a flashlight when Miracle gasped.

When I turned to look back at her, she had a shocked look on her face with round eyes and an open mouth.