My Mate, Explaining

Celeste's POV

I took him in with an indifferent expression. He either didn't notice my expression or decided it didn't matter at the moment because Sam was right. He could mate-bond the truth right out of me without hesitating. He could have all our secrets before noon and Goddess knows how he would take it or use it against us.

We took each other in silently while Samantha looked at both of us with the biggest grin on her face I've ever seen.

"I'll leave you two alone..." Samantha hinted, standing up from her chair and giving me a wink.

My eyes widened and I know I must've looked scared from the expression on my face but I couldn't let her leave me alone with him. I never wanted anything like this to ever happen again.

"No! Don't go. We were having a conversation. I want to know more about you," I begged, completely ignoring my ma- Liam... Nope, don't say his name. Just like Voldemort, NEVER say his name.

Samantha looked worried and glanced over my shoulder at He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named before she gave a smile my way and sat at the table again.

"Breakfast is ready if you're hungry, Brother," Samantha informed You-Know-Who as I kept my back to him.

"Thank you, Sam. How are you, Celeste?" He asked me with a strained, polite tone.

"I-I am well, I think," I grew confused, "Wait, why wouldn't I be? What happened?"

You-know-who sat at the table across from me and shared a look with Sam. When he noticed I was staring, he met my gaze which I quickly broke.

The table lining is very nice, don't you think, Heaven?

Oh, quit your stalling and get answers! What happened to us? The car crash couldn't have done that much damage, right?

"I mean, I remember the crash and everything, but how did I get so hurt? It couldn't have been that big of a deal, right?" I've been in crashes before in way worse conditions, why get so hurt now?

"It seems there was something wrong with your car. It was messed up pretty bad so it took a while to see what had happened to cause so many injuries. Anyways, there were three main factors that played into your injuries. The first was that you had no seatbelt on, so when the car hit, you were jerked around pretty bad against the seat and the tree. The second was the glass that busted shredded into your back and took Sam and Megan spent two days pulling out of you. Those wounds were deep, so you took longer to heal yourself with all the blood loss," Liam's face was pained as he spoke about me getting hurt and Heaven and I wanted to reach out and touch him, but I have to hold back.

"What's the third thing?" I asked trying hard to ignore him. I looked at Sam instead, who was frowning deeply.

"You had an unfamiliar scent all over you, Celeste. The patroller you almost hit passed out due to what we thought was shock, but ended up being a powdered mist that caused immediate exhaustion and a deep sleep for ten to twenty minutes. You had the same mist on you and... A handprint against your cheek," Samantha finished for Liam. I tensed up at the information. Sam looked nervous for some reason and kept her head bowed and I realized Liam looked like he was ready to tear apart the house and eat it.

"It could have been anyone," I found myself trying to convince him. Why was I trying to make him feel better? "The powder may have just come from a passing witch being nosey. Or it could have been someone from my old pack that came looking to see if I was alright."

Liam slowly shook his head and took a deep breath before meeting my eyes, and, for some reason, I couldn't look away from him this time. The look in them frightened me. Even more than I was before.

"We received a message from the Blood Moonlight Pack," Liam whispered. I paled. "They threatened war if, and I repeat, 'What is theirs is not returned.' They're talking about you and Miracle, aren't they?" Liam's eyes held so many emotions I wanted to lie and let Liam rage war against his pack while Miracle and I stayed here with a new family and be happy for a little while before he came to get us himself.

But I couldn't do that. Not again.

"That was my home pack. Where I was born. I didn't leave it until I was six months along with Miracle. She was born and raised, for the most part, in the Starlight Pack. They took care of us until-" I finally let myself think about what must've happened to everyone. They were outnumbered and outgunned big time. They couldn't have survived an attack of that size. He attacked us perfectly. No flaws. He wiped out our defenses swiftly and quietly.

He had a rat spying on us, Heaven growled angrily.

But everyone was so wonderful. I can't think of anyone who would ever want to hurt them or us.

They may not have had much of a choice, was her only reply.

"It doesn't make sense though..."

You said that out loud, stupid.

"What doesn't make sense?" Sam asked confused. Liam shook his head at her before standing and reaching his hand out to me.

"Take a walk with me," he said bluntly. I only looked at his hand in confusion and hesitance. "We have much to discuss and the pack will be up soon. I would like a moment alone with you until then. Please, Celeste."

I stared at his hand for a long moment before placing mine in his quickly and letting him lead me away.