Just Breathe

"You and Miracle can stay in this room together if you want. Sam and I are right across the hall," Liam said while leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

Miracle was lying on the ground on her stomach, sleepily reading a book about the alphabet. I smiled and nodded at him, completely worn out from the day.

Once Liam and I came back from the gazebo, Sam helped me stay away from the other people in the pack once I told her yet another lie about how I was shy when meeting new people that weren't awesome like her. Laying it on thick, but it worked.

She helped me keep a low profile after the pack ate breakfast and then let Miracle play with some of the other kids in the pack. Miracle looked a little down at first, but then perked up when a little boy and girl got her into an intense game of hide-and-seek tag.

I could feel her worry about leaving again, and we would definitely need to have a talk tonight, but she played to her heart's content while Sam and I bonded more. She is someone I really hope accepts us if we ever make it back here after everything is dealt with.

Liam had to leave the pack house for a very long time to check on multiple things from the crash and other pack business, so I got a break from all the fake smiles and ignored shivers.

We really should leave as soon as possible. Tonight, maybe tomorrow tops... I'm sorry, Heaven. I promise we'll come back someday and be OK again.

That's if he takes us back, she whispered quietly. The mate bond affected her way more because Liam's wolf seemed more in tuned to her than Liam was with me. We both heard and felt his wolf howling with joy ever since we got here. It's good we don't know his name yet or we'll get even more attached.

"Thank you, Liam. I..." I gulped and looked at the ground. I can't do this. I can't lie and say it'll all be ok when I don't know for sure...

What are you doing? Talk to him! He'll get suspicious!

I don't know what to say to him. The mate bond isn't all that strong just yet, but I just can't keep up this act for this long without overthinking every little thing. I was about to say that I'd see him later, but I don't know if I'll ever see him again! I can't keep this up, Heaven...

"You ok?" Liam didn't move from his spot, but he tensed and looked so worried, so concerned. We haven't even talked and let the mate bond mature but he's already caring... I've never felt this warmth before...

We will feel it again but we have a situation to deal with before anything can happen with us.

I took a deep breath and gave him another smile.

"I'm... exhausted," I finally let out. Lying is definitely not my strongest area of expertise, so I just... withheld the truth.

"I'm sure you are. Your strength hasn't fully returned yet and you've been up since before dawn. You and Miracle should get some rest. I'm sure you and your wolf should talk things over as well. I'll... see you both in the morning then...Umm... Goodnight, Celeste." He looked nervous and concerned and awkward all at once. How could someone be so... awkwardly cute? Is that the right phrase?

He's everything Zachary wasn't- isn't. I have met Liam for not even a full day, but he, not the mate bond, makes me feel... things. Different things. Good different things. With Zachary, the mate bond did all the work and we never were on equal footing. Once the bond was stretched, it snapped. He had the chance to reject me and he did without blinking an eye. But Liam... He's something else. The feelings we have from just being in the same room with him lights us up. I feel...

Happy, Heaven interrupted. You're feeling happiness.

I like it, I blushed and told Liam goodnight after the second prolong silence while I contemplated everything.

It would be hard to leave, harder than leaving the Blood Moonlight Pack or Starlight ever was. I always knew I'd have to leave eventually and break the bonds with all of them, so why was this any different?

"Mommy?" Miracle tugged on my hand after a moment and gazed at me sleepily. I had almost forgot she was there, but she always manages to bring me back down from my thoughts.

Focus on what's in front of us first and then we'll look at the big picture.

Ok, Heaven. I know what we should do, I just don't want to...

"Sweetie, let's go lie down, Ok?" She reached up towards me and I picked her up, letting her lay her head under my chin. As long as I have her with me, she will always come first.

I laid us on the big bed with her lying beside me. Her golden hair spilled out onto the blue pillows messily, so I began combing through her hair with my fingers. No one had done this for me since I was a child and I loved it. Miracle took after me in some of the nicest ways. I can treat her like I had always wanted to be treated. I can play with her hair when she's tired, I can hold her when she's upset, and I can give her all the love I have because that's all I've ever wanted for myself.

"We have to leave, don't we, Mommy?" I could feel her trying to hide how upset she was about it. She had always connected to people easier than I did when coming to new packs.

Let's talk like this, Miracle. I don't want anyone listening in on us. Our bond was stronger than ever and could work even when we're spanned out between hundreds of miles. It made me proud my baby was so strong. Most kids her age couldn't work a bond a tenth as strong as ours. I couldn't begin to fathom how special she was.

Ok Mommy. But do we have to leave?

Honestly, lying would make me feel so much better than telling her the truth right then, but I can't protect her if she doesn't know what's going on. On one hand, the more she knows, the more dangerous it is for her. On the other hand, the less she knows, the more vulnerable it will be for her.

Yes. In a day or two, I think. Whenever I'm better, I'll figure out somewhere for us to go, but for now, I need you to be very careful not to let anyone else know what you can do. People may act nice, but they could be lying. Once we're safe, I'll tell you everything that you should know about us.

Her breath caught and she looked up in surprise. You'll really tell me everything? Even about my daddy?

She looked so surprised. I realized how selfish I was being right then. I kept her in the dark about everything about her life and she never asked a word about it because she knew it hurt me to talk about it. She really was special. My little Miracle.

Everything. I need to make sure you can look after yourself if I'm ever... not with you. It'll be best this way, I think. We can't stay here too long because people may get hurt if we do. You understand, right?

She smiled and nodded at me. "Bedtime?" She then asked.

I nodded at her half-closed eyes. "Bedtime, Baby doll. I'll see you in the morning."

She fell asleep quickly, while I stayed up trying to figure out a plan. It's hard to plan leaving when you really don't want to go. But I know, it will always be better for others when we're gone.

ication�UYE�(8