Chapter 10: My Brave Face

Look out for the <>!

I sat in a chair in one of my normal hospital rooms as tried to keep myself busy without a phone. I picked at my nails, hoping this would prove aide but to no avail. I shifted in my bed, feeling uncomfortable even though I just got here. Without something to distract me, I was hating every moment I spent here.

Quickly, I relied on my mind for shelter, thinking back to what happened last night, how Peter had asked me to be his girlfriend. I barely slept last night as I thought about it with such excitement. I don't think the butterflies would ever go away from it.

"Clare, you forgot something last time you were here," nurse Jensen said, breaking me out from my thoughts as she waved my cell phone in her hand.

The curly haired lady that I forced a smile at returned it instantly. There was trust between me and the nurses, and Nurse Jensen was always watching out for me. "Thanks, you're a lifesaver."

I hoped that someone would find it and return it to me quickly. All the nurses knew my phone by now since I had left it here enough times. I had been waiting to get my phone back since yesterday. In my opinion, that was too long of a wait since I was anxious to see what Peter had texted me, if he texted me at all.

She chuckled at me as she checked my IV. "I wouldn't consider this a lifesaving event."

"It is for me," I said, and took the phone from her, expecting it to be dead but was surprised that it had full battery.

"I charged it, so you're good to go. And let me tell you, your phone has been blowing up. Some boy named Peter won't stop texting," she said, and threw me a wink. "But I promise, I read nothing." 

The idea that Peter was texting me, blowing up my phone caused a smile to creep across my face. No one had ever blown up my phone. I glanced through my message that he sent. There had to be at least 10 messages in the last 18 hours. I felt my smile grow wider, if that was even possible. He really did like me, didn't he?

"Wow, something must have happened. I haven't seen you smile this much in too long. Has anyone told you that you have a beautiful smile?" nurse Jensen asked as she looked at my charts. She leaned back against the wall as a smile played across her face.

My cheeks grew warm. "Thank you. Things are looking up for me, for the first time in like ever. I think I'm finally happy with my life. I have decided that I should be happy with the time I have, not dreading what might come in the future. I'm trying to live in the moment, you know?"

"What changed? A boy? Is it this Peter kid?" she asked as she wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"Nurse Jensen, please, but you're right," I admitted shyly to her.

She flashed a smile at me. "Do I know you or what?"

I nodded. And it was the truth. She knew me well. Better than most people.

"Good for you Clare. I'm happy for you. I want to meet this Peter kid. The way you have been smiling, he must be a really special boy," she said.

"He is; he makes me feel special." And I wasn't being dramatic about that. I was especially normal with him, and I loved it.

Suddenly her two-way radio went off. And just like that, our conversation was over, and she had to move on. She frowned at it as if that would make anything better. Finally, she sighed. "Just remember, I want him to come here soon. I want to approve," she smiled at me before she left my room.

As much as I loved Nurse Jensen, I knew that I would never bring him here. "Not likely," I muttered, knowing that I was going to do all I could to keep my secret from him. He wasn't never going to see me in here, he would never know this side of my life. If I showed him, he would treat me differently, and I didn't want that.