Chapter 42: You Are Magic

Thanks for reading this far! I hope you enjoy the song! And remember, look for the <> for when to listen to the song.

"How was the trip?" Doctor Patel asked to me as he wheeled me off the helicopter on the hospital rooftop.

I looked up at him and shrugged as I thought about the past three days. There had been so many tests, so much blood drawn, so many words spoken, it was hard to remember all of it.

I stretched as I felt my body ached from the treatment. Even the smallest movements hurt as if I ran a marathon. I had slept a lot the past few days, but I felt like I wasn't getting any sleep at all. It wiped me out, and I knew that in just another month, I would have to do the same treatment all over again. But for now, I could celebrate the fact that I was home and now I could be with my family and Peter. "It was ok. California's overrated."

Doctor Patel chuckled, "I can agree with you on that." He paused then continued, "I just got off the phone with Doctor Smith. He said he's encouraged by your positive reactions to the treatment and has high hopes for the following treatments."

I frowned as I thought about the last three days. If my reaction was a positive one, I would hate to see an adverse reaction. The words of Doctor Cali stayed fresh in my mind as Doctor Patel pushed me through the hospital doors.

'Now Clare, I want you to rest and get your strength back, because I need to see you in three weeks. Your test results were positive,' he said and knelt to get down on eye level with me in my wheelchair. He grabbed my hand, and I personally thought he was being too emotional, but I could see the excitement in his eyes, so I said nothing. 'You're strong, Clare. I can understand why Peter's so in love with you.'

"Hey Clare! welcome back!" a nurse said to me as we passed her in the hall.

I smiled with a wave, feeling like a celebrity for a moment. Even though I was happy to be home, I felt sleep tug me back under as I yawned, barely able to keep my eyes open as Doctor Patel pushed me down the halls. I wanted to sleep so badly again, but I fought the urge, finding this as an important time to stay awake. In a matter of minutes, I would be reunited with my loved ones after what felt like so long.

"Clare, some people are waiting for you," Doctor Patel said as he pushed me through some double doors, revealing my parents and Farrah with huge smiles on their faces.

My smile grew as I saw them, as I felt myself wake up just a little. This is what I had been missing for the past few days.

Farrah came up to me with a bag in her hands. She plopped it on my lap like a dog would give a stick to its master. "I found this outfit today at the mall and thought it was your style." She then wrapped her arms around me and gave me a small squeeze.

She released me, and I craned my neck to find Peter. I hadn't talked to him a lot the past few days since he said he was busy, so I tried to stay out of the way. Before I could get a good view of the lobby, my parents were bringing me into a group hug. I felt my bones shift from impact, and I resisted the urge to wince. I don't think they realized how strong their hugs were. As they held me, I couldn't breathe, but their body heat warmed me instantly and I welcomed the feeling.

You never realize how much you miss things until they are gone. I know it had only been three days, but when you're alone, across the country, those few days seem like a lifetime. Finally, feeling like I would suffocate from the hug, I tapped them. "Guys, can't. breathe."

They quickly let go of me and mom gave a nervous laugh, fearing she caused some damage to me in some way.

"We missed you, Clare," dad said and ruffled my blonde bird nest I called hair.