Chapter 23: Someone And No one

Hey guys!
I hope you are great! I just wanted to show you the song that Clare would play for the talent show and for the practice. I just felt like the tone of the song was very minor, which is a lot of times how Clare is. I just thought it was perfect. Please tell me if you agree. :)

Enjoy
Darla H

I put my hands on the piano as I quickly hummed the song I wanted to play, as if that would give me the motivation to make my fingers move. I felt nervous for a reason I couldn't explain even though this was just a practice at the hospital and that no one would hear me expect Peter; it was still hard to force myself to play.

It would be just so easy to just give up and not play at all. After all, I didn't put my name on the talent show. I could back out easily from it, using that as an excuse. But as I thought about Anna and the deal we made, I knew I couldn't give up, not with something as simple as playing one song at a show.

"Just pretend no one is here," Peter said into my ear.

For a second I forgot he sat beside me on the piano bench and his voice caused me to jump slightly. I smiled at him, knowing that he was here to cheer me on, even though it was just a practice run. The past few days I played on his piano and I finally was comfortable enough to come here and play in the empty room.

But as I hit a single key on the piano, I remembered why I didn't want to be here. The talent show was just two days away and being here, I didn't feel ready anymore. I wasn't good enough to play in front of anyone, I should have just stayed home.

"No one's here," I chuckled as I looked around at the large, empty hospital room.

"I know you can do well, you just need a little push," he said as he played the song I needed to play. "Jump in when you are ready."

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly as I tried to calm myself. Without thinking further, I jumped in, playing the song alongside him like a beautiful duet, and seconds later, I was singing along to the tune.

Silently, Peter smiled at me, then got up from the bench that he and I shared, leaving me alone to play the song. Halfway through the song, I heard voices from behind me. Nerves got to me as I let fear consume me for a moment, as I thought about the handful of new ears listening.

Self doubt popped into my mind, convincing me that I wasn't that good enough or that I wasn't ready for people to hear me. Listening to the self doubt, I stopped playing then turned to face Doctor Patel and a few nurses standing next to Peter.

Doctor Patel smiled widely at me and clapped. "Beautiful."

I gave a small smile, even though I knew it wasn't that beautiful. I was sure he was just being kind because he was my doctor. "Thank you."

"Why did you stop? It sounded amazing!" one nurse cheered me on.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know," I lied. If they would have never come into this room, I would have remained perfectly happy. It was them that messed up the song, but I wouldn't admit that.

"Want to try it again?" Peter asked me.

I frowned at him, not wanting to play any longer if people were in here watching me. It wasn't perfect, and I didn't want anyone to listening, fearing that they would judge me or just lie, saying that it was good. I opened my mouth just to tell him no as Anna walked cautiously into the room. She held tight to her IV pole with a small smile on her face.

"That was amazing, Clare. See, I told you could do great things," she said to me as she took slow steps towards me. I held back a frown as I looked at her, noticing that she looked even thinner than when I last saw her, which made her look sicker than me.