Chapter 21: Great Game Wasn't It?

Song for the start of the chapter! 

I gripped the metal railing and held tight as I looked out at the field in front of me. The air was getting cooler with the sun setting, but not cold enough for a coat. I could hear the roar of the crowd behind me as music blasted through the stadium, reminding me that I and the 100 other people were all here for the same reason, the opening Rugby game of the season.

This was my first school game and I don't think I had done something so exciting before. It was exhilarating as I fed on it, making me more excited than I already was. I tried to take in every second, even though I knew I would forget some moments, and that bothered me.

I looked around myself and smiled up at my parents, who were in the stands with Peter's parents. They waved down at me, no doubt trying to call me up to accompany them, but I had no plan on joining them up there tonight. I wanted to hang out with Farrah, but she was out with her new boyfriend, nowhere to be seen. She had been doing that a lot recently, and I wasn't a fan since she often was gone, leaving me alone.

Since Farrah left me, that meant I had to hang out with my parents by default. They were convinced that it wasn't safe for me to be on my own, but I was lucky enough to sneak off to the railing, telling them that I would be fine within eyesight. At least for a few minutes, I would not be the odd one hanging out with their parents.

"And here you go, ladies and gentlemen. The Rugby team of 2020!" a voice rang out over the intercom. At that moment, the team ran out onto the field and the crowd went wild and so did I.

My eyes scanned the team for Peter, wanting him to know that I was here in the front line and that I was totally invested in this new sport. Within seconds, I found his number and I screamed his name in excitement as I waved out to him, hoping to grab his attention.

He made eye contact with me and smiled at me with a wave as he went into a huddle with his team.

Breaking me from being that girlfriend was Farrah's voice. "Hey Clare! I want you to meet someone."

I looked at her with a smile, noticing the small hickey on the side of her neck. There she was and I had a good guess what she had been off doing. I wondered if she would stay around with me for a little or if she would be off with her boy toy for the rest of the night.

"This is Malik," Farrah said as she introduced her new 'friend' who was right beside her.

I smiled softly at him, trying to figure out why Farrah was interested in him, since I didn't find him handsome. "Hello." Now go away and leave my sister alone.

"Please to meet you, Clare. Farrah has told me so much about you," Malik said to me politely. He ran his hand through his dark hair as he talked.

"I hope good things." If she even told you about my cancer, I will tackle her right now. I forced a laugh at him as I looked nervously at Farrah to make sure she didn't tell too much.

She smiled at me as if to tell me she said nothing of importance.

"All good," he nodded and laughed with me, not catching my concern.

"Good," I said, and leaned over the rail to make sure I missed nothing more. I knew my sister and her boys, none of them ever lasted, and I don't know if it was worth talking to her new boy of the month. Anyhow, I imagine Farrah would whisk him away soon enough, since I was pretty sure she didn't want to be roped into watching me tonight. I always made an awful third wheel.

"You're into rugby?" he asked as he stood right beside me, trying to make conversation.

Oh boy, you're trying too hard. I looked at him for a second, amazed that he was still here. "Just got into this season. Are you into it?" I asked him.