Chapter 32: I WANT TO LIVE

Look out for the lovely song I picked out! Keep an eye out for a <>!

Darla H

"Hello?!" I shouted into the empty white that was around me. "Is anyone there?" I yelled out and waited for a response, but there was nothing. I walked for what felt like hours, hoping that I would come across something, but it was all white for infinite space.

"Please can someone hear me?" I begged for some kind of help. I did not know what this place was. But I had a feeling that this was going to be my life forever now, just empty whiteness, with nothing to do and no one around. It reminded me of my life, it amounted to nothing. I made nothing significant and now life was done. I didn't get a reshot, but that was the funny thing about life, was that we all had one chance to make something beautiful and as I sat down on the ground, I knew for a fact that I wasted mine.

"Didn't you want to be alone?" a voice finally rang out that I recognized. I looked around, but I couldn't see where the voice came from. I was still alone and now I was loosing my mind.

"No, it's not like that," I pouted at my feet, distraught that I was talking to myself.

"Oh, I thought you wanted to be alone. After all, you tried to push everyone away," the voice rang out again.

I shook my head at the ground, not caring whether or not this conversation was in my mind. This was better than being alone. But the voice got it all wrong. I was protecting them. I didn't like it, but it was better this way, so they wouldn't hurt when I died. "Where am I?"

<>

"You're in the lovely in between," a girl that I hadn't seen in a while said as she appeared in front of me.

I looked up at Anna who had her long brown hair perfectly straight with a glow to her skin that showing against her all white outfit she wore. She smiled at me and somehow her smile seemed to catch the light and sparkle as she walked towards me.

Word flew from my mind as I quickly got up from the ground. I had to be dreaming all of this.

"It is a pleasure to see you again, Clare," she said to me as she brought me into a hug that was so tight I couldn't breathe.

I was too in shock to hug her back, confused about what was happening, and why was she here. If she was dead, wouldn't she have been in a better place than just this whiteness?

Anna brought me out of the hug and straightened out her white dress. "Oh forgive me, you must be confused. Would you care to walk with me? I have a few things to say." She said and with a wave from her hand, the whiteness suddenly turned into a green field with apple trees on either side of us.

I felt the sun beat against my head and heard birds chirped around us. I wanted to ask her a million questions about how we got here, but I figured this was not the time. Quickly, I remembered how Anna said she worked on an apple farm in the summer, and I wondered if it was this.

A butterfly landed on my shoulder, and I couldn't hold back my questions any longer. I had to know how we got here. "How was that possible?" I asked, unable to hold the shock from my voice as the scenery changed before my eyes.

Anna walked over to a tree and picked a rosy pink apple. She rubbed it on her dress and took a bite out of it so casually, as if this was nothing special. "That's beside the point. We have a few important things to talk about, and I don't have forever," Anna said as her white dress changed into a white button-down and a pair of jean shorts. "There, must less dramatic," she said and smiled at me.

"How can this be any less dramatic?" I asked in disbelief. As happy as I was that Anna was here, she seemed different. She seemed grown-up, maybe more serious than when I saw her last.