Chapter 45: I handled it with C(l)are

Originally I had this French song for this chapter (from 'Midnight in Paris', if you haven't seen it, I would recommend). And that was nice, but I found this song and I just thought it was a perfect "ending credits" song, so perfect I just had to put it into this last chapter. Anyhow enjoy.

Also, for anyone that is interested, I have an Instagram account named Darlah_writes. You may follow for more information about my stories/my life. 

Darlah

I sat on the bench right beside Notre Dame. Jazz music filled the streets as a local band played in front of us, trying to make an extra buck. I smiled at them as they played, completely unaware that this was my dream come true. I felt a warm breeze ruffle my hair and I couldn't help but tilt my face towards the sun in hopes to get a tan.

I remembered the day that we got ice cream after hearing the best news of my life. Just when I thought that day couldn't get any better, my parents surprised us by saying that we would go to Paris in a month on a family trip. At first, I thought it was too good to be true, but now that we were here, I knew that dreams could come true. It was all that I could have asked for and more.

After the last treatment, I was able to finally start living life like a normal teen. I finished high school. I registered for college, however, I still don't really know what I will be studying, I figure I will pick something later on. As of right now, I wanted to be a doctor, like Doctor Patel, but I don't know if I can deal with all that school. Besides applying for college, I continued to go on dates with Peter. We had grown so much closer within the past few months, more than I ever thought we could. I still feel so lucky that he decided to stay with me through everything. In my free time, I went to cheer on Farrah and Peter at their games, most importantly, I was able to be there for them to support them. Something that I only wished I would have time to do.

I still thought about Anna sometimes, and I missed her so much still. I still thought about that time when she convinced me to stay and fight and I am so grateful that she did that because, without her, I wouldn't be here.

"Et Nous avons une autre chanson pour vous," the band member said to the small crowd of people.

My attention was brought up when suddenly I knew that I had been here before. Right here, right now. I had been here because Anna took me here as she helped convinced me to stay. I looked around hoping to see something else that stood out to me and across the street was a girl with long brown hair and skin that seemed to glow in the sun. She pulled on her bowed sleeved dress and smiled at me. Anna stood there on the corner smiling at me.

I felt my voice catch in my throat. I wanted to shout out to her, I wanted to call her over and laugh about old times but I know that wouldn't be able to happen. She was on her own path that I didn't quite understand and I don't think I would ever understand in this life. Instead of saying something back to her I just waved and smiled. I wanted to convey the gratitude had for her because, without her and support from my family and Peter, I wouldn't be here today. I wanted to tell her 'Thank you for offering me a second chance. Thank you for making me realize what I was going to miss. And lastly, Thank you for being my friend.'

"Who are you smiling at?" Farrah asked as she returned with two ice cream cones in her hands. I looked over to her with a smile. I told her to get dessert, she gets ice cream. I swear, my family had something with ice cream. I was thinking she would get a crepe, after all, we were in Paris, and she went to get ice cream? I just shrugged. It could be worst I guess.

I shook my head at her. "Nothing," I said and smiled at her.

She rolled her eyes at me as she handed me a cone that was as pink as a sunset in July. I took a bite, raspberry, one of my favorites. She knew me too well. "You are a terrible liar," she said and laughed as she sat next to me on the bench. I laughed with her. I hadn't tried to improve my lying skills since I was dying. I decided since that point that I didn't need that in my life. I liked being transparent much more. It was more liberating.