Chapter 39: It's Reasonable

Song is for the start of the chapter! Enjoy!

I sat by Farrah's bed as I impatiently waited for her to wake the next morning. As dad promised, I was here first thing in the morning, but I have forgotten how much Farrah liked to sleep in. She moved in her sleep and mumbled, causing me to inch a little closer to her bed to make sure she really was asleep.

"I can feel you breathing on me," Farrah mumbled after a minute.

I smiled at her. Nice to hear that her sass will always be around. "I needed to make sure you were asleep."

She opened her doe eyes at me. "Well, I'm up." She pushed herself up against the bed with a wince, but still gave a small chuckle. "So the tables have tabled." Referring to me being the one sitting by the bedside.

I shrugged at her, even though I found this oddly refreshing. "It's odd to have another perspective. But Farrah, if you come here again, so help me, I don't know what I would do with myself," I said sternly.

She raised her eyebrows at me and folded her arms over her chest gingerly. "Now you know how I feel. However, your trips here occur much more often."

I looked away from her, unable to meet her eyes, feeling guilty. "Sorry."

"Well, you can't help it... most of the time."

I nodded in silence. If I could prevent these trips, I would be happier, I think the entire family would be happier.

"Most of the time, it's just nothing you can do, and I understand that." She winced again as she continued to talk about the events that led her here. Seeing her in pain made my heart hurt. I wanted to take it away, but I knew as well as anyone that I couldn't do that. "My head's killing me. And that light is really bright. Could you pull the blinds down?" she begged as she pointed towards the window.

I nodded and stood up from my seat, slowly walking over to the blinds and tilted them shut. Even though I had a full night's sleep, I couldn't help but feel exhausted and off balance. I took careful steps forward as I tried not to fall over, not wanting her, the one in the bed, to be worried about me. I sat in the chair and gave a sigh of relief, knowing that I could stay in this spot for the rest of the morning. I reached down in my bag and pulled out a brown paper bag. "So I got you something. If you're interested," I said to her as I moved to the paper bag on the small table by the bed, pulling out a muffin.

She smiled at me as she reached for the muffin, but a doctor that I didn't know came in. She dropped her hand, and I took back the muffin, knowing that he might take it away from her.

"Farrah Atkins... and how are you feeling?" he asked her as he flipped through her chart. He looked over at me with a pointed look, knowing what I was about to do. "I hope that wasn't for her. She needs to fast for a little more before we draw some blood."

I frowned at Farrah, as if saying sorry. "No, um, it was for me," I told him and took a bite to prove it was mine. Farrah frowned for a second, disappointment in her eyes, and I turned the pitied look. At least I tried.

"I'm feeling ok. My head's killing me though," she said to him honestly.

He nodded as he checked her eyes with a light, then her pulse. "You experienced a concussion, after all. Let me tell you, Farrah, you're very lucky. Things could have been much worse for you."

At least someone in this family was lucky.

"So when can I leave?" she asked, sounding like me, eager to get out of this place.

"Wow, so eager aren't we," he said with a chuckle. "I think we can release you this afternoon," he told her just as mom walked in with a cup of tea in her hand.