2

Tossing and turning in her chosen bed, Sharon wondered whether Amelia was still angry with her. After reading the note, she had decided to settle into a room and freshen up. Then she had taken a tub of her love and slowly ate it as she constructed an apology text. She'd tried to call Ames but her call was rejected. It was possible that she was busy in a meeting but she had never ignored Sharon's texts. She would, usually, reply within the hour even when she was in a meeting. Sharon was fairly certain she was angry since she had not replied to any of the twenty, or thirty, or fifty, messages she had sent in the last eight hours.

Sitting up, Sharon punched her pillow for the fifth time in two hours before she dropped back to her back. She wondered whether she should call Scott and ask his opinion. But the last they had fought, he had decreed that he was not going to be involved again. She didn't have anyone else to turn to, though. She had cut ties from her hometown and her mother was of no help. Mouth downturning, she turned to her side, eyes set on the wall.

Deciding to worry about it in the morning, she tried to sleep. Only her mind was too active. It was not letting go of her worries and problems. She was even remembering that time in fifth grade when she had fallen down and her skirt had ridden up, exposing her underwear and embarrassing her. Slapping her forehead, she sat up and got out of bed. Maybe a glass of milk- Strike that, the fridge was empty. Maybe just water would help. It would definitely distract her.

Slowly ambling down the hall, she was busy trying to get her mind off that moment in fifth grade when she heard a noise. Halting, she tried to push it off as a figment of her imagination. She succeeded and resumed walking when she heard it again. It sounded like words. A voice? Stopping and trying to listen closely, her brows furrowed as she confirmed that it was a voice. A strong, deep male voice. She was too far to make out the words and was reluctant to go closer but something about the voice called her. Made her want to find out who it was.

Stopping, having not realised she had taken a few steps towards him, she shook her head vigorously. What was she thinking? She was a woman, alone. She was in no state to confront that man. Or whatever her mind was thinking about doing to the man when she finally met him face-to-face. How did she even know he was alone? He could very well have an accomplice.

But he sounds like he's alone, a part of her mind chimed but she ruthlessly silenced it. She had to be smart. Take precautions. She silently went back to her room and tried to find a weapon. Something that she could brandish and do some damage if her trusting side was wrong. Hurriedly going through her room and suitcase, she stilled when her eyes detected light. She had switched off all the lights in the penthouse when she had gone to sleep, being quite comfortable in walking about in the dark. This meant that he had switched on the light in the hallway. He was a confident robber.

Crawling to the small side table placed by the entrance of her room, she brought her knees to her chin and took whatever was on the table, which happened to be a small vase, while her eyes were fixed on the slight opening of the door. She could see the man. He was a tall man, a bit on the lean side. His golden blonde hair was long and hanging around his face, hiding his features, but what she had been able to see, along with his chiseled, stubbled jaw, allowed her to categorise him as hot. Handsome even. Her eyes transfixed on his face, she was surprised to see a duffle in his hand when he passed by.

He really was a burglar, her stunned mind supplied. The vase slipped from her slackened grip and it made a loud noise when it hit the ground. Luckily, it didn't break but it caught the attention of the robber. His steps faltered and she could see his legs as it paused by her room. She grabbed the vase, giving herself some courage, a sense of security. She knew she had to find another spot but her limbs refused to move. She hoped he would move away but- No. He pushed open her door.