7

Stepping into her room, Sharon could feel weights pushing down on her shoulders. It had been such an exhausting day. Dropping her bag by the door, she shed her blazer and dropped, facedown, on her bed. Mentally and physically exhausted. She didn't want to move. Unfortunately, as she felt the bed dipped, indicating a weight pressing onto the bed, the other occupant of the apartment had other ideas.

"Are you awake?"Cameron asked. She felt the bed bounce again and opened her eyes slightly. He had dropped to his back, staring up at her ceiling, his hands behind his head.

"Don't you have your own room?"she murmured irritably as she, too, turned to her back. "I don't want to talk about it, Cameron."

"But why? This would be a good place for you to work. And you can keep an eye on my recovery since you're so worried about it."

"Cameron,"she sighed wearily. She didn't want to hear anymore on the topic. The car trip back had been a trial as it was. "We've been through this. I do not want to rehash this again. Please leave."

"But you haven't heard some of the new benefits I've thought of." She looked at him in disbelief. He turned to look at her and nodded gravely. She thought it was gravely. The size of his bicep almost obscured his face. She could only see the half of his face.

"You're saying that the trip on the elevator had been long enough for you to formulate new benefits that I'd reap if I accept the offered position?"she asked incredulously. Well, she tried to sound dubious but her rapidly draining energy sapped the incredulity out of her voice. She had a sudden problem in keeping her eyes open too. She knew, then, that she had had enough. She didn't give him the opportunity to present his "benefits". "Stop. I don't want to talk about this anymore. At least not tonight. Can you please let me rest and recharge before you try to convince me again?" She could see that he wanted to argue but when she pled silently with him, he sighed and sat up. She followed him and almost gave him a hug.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow,"he said, getting to his feet and stretching. Her eyes took the opportunity to appreciate his long body. Despite her fatigue, she definitely saw that he was a fine specimen of the male species. Her body started growing warm, startling her. Averting her eyes as she dealt with the heat, she was surprised when he wasn't heading to the door. Instead, as she was looking at his feet, she saw him turning towards her. "Are you going to prepare dinner tonight?"

"No. I'm not hungry-" At the mention of dinner, her stomach decided to protest and announce the fact that it had not been filled since before her interview. She could feel her face heat up, a very different kind of heat than before. "I guess I'm hungry." She couldn't lift her head to look at him. She was extremely embarrassed. It worsened when she heard Cameron laugh, even though it was very soft. She wasn't sure she had even heard it.

"I'll get takeout. Chinese works for you?" She nodded and heard another laugh. This time she was sure he was laughing at her. "I'll let you know once it's here." Only then did he leave.

Getting to her feet once she heard his door opening, relieved that she was alone, she collected the items she needed for a shower. There was a brief confusion where she forgot she'd stored some her clothes in the walk-in closet. Her tiredness was messing with her memory. Dragging herself to the bathroom in her room, she had to detour to her door as it was still open. Once she was in the bathroom and under the water, her mind brought up the car ride back after leaving Matt's office.

Cameron had been shooting her with the perks, the benefits, the compensation of working with Matt.. Something he had been doing ever since Matt had offered her a position. He hadn't even allow Matt a word in edgewise which resulted in them being thrown out of his office. Matt hadn't even been able to inform her what the position entailed or what the position even was. Cameron had not allowed that lack to deter him. Even when she had argued with him, countering every point he'd brought point, he had steamrolled over her. To be honest, Cameron's constant pestering was pushing her to decide against accepting the position.

Sighing, she wondered whether she was doing the right thing. She knew she was being contrary. With the economy worsening, jobs were scarce. She was lucky to even be considered for two positions today. And yet, none of them had taken into consideration her qualifications and experience. Both of them had been on the behest of trustworthy people; Cameron might have been acting flaky for the past few weeks but she saw that he and Matt had a strong bond. One that must have taken years to develop. She had a feeling that Matt would trust Cameron in most situations and he would have not taken a second glance at her if Cameron hadn't brought her to his attention.

But something in her was uncomfortable in accepting help, favours, from people. Even from family. It was like she had a need to do everything on her own, succeed on her own. She had a feeling that it was tied to the fact that she had not had much help during her formative years. Her teen years. Her father had passed away when she had been ten. Thus Amelia's and her wellbeing had fallen upon her mother. She had had to work two jobs to keep a roof over their heads and food in her belly. But even before, she had not been an equal mother. She had favoured Amelia over her and would never voluntarily help her. Amelia had her own group of friends and she was five years older. She loved Sharon but was busy with her life. She didn't have time for a sister that didn't share her interests.

Therefore Sharon had had to rely on herself for most of her life.

------@@@@@@----------

Drying herself after getting out of the shower, she had to admit that she had the deepest shower thoughts. It was truly easy to examine one's self while hot water was hitting one's body. Laughing silently at herself, she wrapped the towel around herself and had another towel twisted on her head. Then she decided to moisturise herself. Going to get the lotion, she paused in the middle of her room. She thought she heard her phone ringing. When she didn't hear it again, she moved but stopped again. Her phone was definitely ringing. Since there weren't a lot of people who knew her number, she had a feeling it was Amelia.

Her suspicion was confirmed when she found her phone on the bed. Seeing her sister's name blinking on her screen, she debated letting it go to her voicemail. But, knowing Amelia, she knew her sister was not going to give up. She'd call until the phone was answered. Resigning herself, she pressed the green button.

"Hey, Ames. What's going on?"she asked, hoping her voice didn't sound as tired as she felt.

"So I called the office and they told me you were brilliant during the interview,"Amelia said, sounding very excited. "The hiring manager even told me he's offered you the position. So when do you start?" Exhaling quietly, Sharon sat on her bed, making sure she was not showing anything she shouldn't, and debated on how to answer such a loaded question. In the end, she decided honesty was the best policy.

"It's not something I'm looking for, Ames. I thought it was for an accounts position but what I was offered was in marketing. I don't do marketing."

"What? You can't learn something new? This is Scott's company we're talking about. And the economy isn't looking too good. When else would you get another opportunity?" Amelia's response made her feel bad, guilty for squandering such a wonderful prospect, but, then, she heard Cameron's voice. He had adamantly defended her decision. As he'd said, an interview was a two-way street. It was not only the interviewer who was studying the interviewee. The interviewee was also deciding whether the culture and the job fit with his needs. She couldn't help but to gain courage from the memory. And it gave her the strength to argue with Amelia.

"Look, Amelia. I know what was at stake. I was even seriously considering it but I knew I'd never be happy. And that's all I'm considering. Anyway, I was offered a position in Cameron's agent's company. So how's LA?" She'd hoped to change the subject but her sister was not feeling particularly cooperative.

"How does working with that two-bit wannabe athlete compare with working in my husband's prestigious company? Tell me how that'll help you."

Sharon was, frankly, getting pissed. She had tried to have a cordial conversation with her closest family member. Apparently that was not to be. And, for some reason, maybe it was the fatigue or a hidden resentment, she did something she immediately regret.

"Maybe it's because they won't be sucking my ass everywhere I turn. But thanks for saying that. You have made the decision so much easier for me. Thank me, Amelia, because I will be working with Matt from tomorrow onwards,"she snapped and ended the call. Then she realised what she'd done. But she didn't have time to absorb or process it because Cameron, then, barged in.

"You're going to accept his offer?"

Sharon just groaned and covered her face with her hands.