32 (NEW)

Jerking awake, Sharon looked around in confusion at the unfamiliar room she was in. In the middle of a giant bed, she was surrounded by rich, cream-colored walls and a floor-to-ceiling window that had an ocean view. There was a dresser and closet as well. Rubbing her eyes and yawning, she got out of bed and trudged to the seats facing the scenery.
She knew she should be worried about her sudden relocation but, even in her half-asleep state, the ocean called to her. It looked so calming and majestic at the same time. The water undulated before her eyes before crashing into the shore. There were people walking along the beach and her focus changed to them.

It was interesting to see them, living their lives, doing their things, from so high up. Captivated by the lights by the pier as well, she was content to just sit by the window when a voice and words entered her ears. Realising she wasn't alone, she examined the room closer.
There was no one around. But she was sure she heard a voice. Brows furrowing, she tried to find the source. The room and bathroom was empty. Then, she tried to look outside only to realise there was another room. Peeking into the other room, she found Cameron on the phone.

It wasn’t that she was surprised to see him but as she had just woken up, her body wasn't up to speed and her heart jumped before calming. Still feeling lethargic, she took a seat at the sofa to wait him out. It appeared to be a very heated conversation as he paced by the window arguing with the person on the other. It was difficult to hear him as he was whispering into the phone. That didn’t last long as he raised his voice and shouted into the phone again.
“Well, you can take that concern and shove it up your ass. I saw none of that during the lunch today and I have to ask whether you even care about Sharon,”he said, lowering his voice when he mentioned her name. Wondering at that volume change, it was answered by what he said next. “Anyway, Sharon’s sleeping and I don’t want to continue this pointless conversation. I just called to let you know where we are. Control your manic wife and- Ah, I’ll call you back.”
“H-hey,”she said, when their eyes connected. Feeling awake, it suddenly felt hot under the collar. She wondered what to say or how to feel. She had just witnessed him defending her so gratitude was there. But the anger and indignation at his high-handedness had returned, raring to pounce on him. Before anything else though, there was an important question.

“Where are we?” From the way he looked away, she knew it wasn’t going to be good. “Cameron.”
“A hotel.”
“And why are we at a hotel?”
“You know, we got here so late that it’s impossible to drive back.” She had to take a deep breath to keep from exploding. He was answering her questions and being evasive at the same time.
“Okay. Then what time are we going back tomorrow?”she asked, still suspicious. It felt like the other shoe was going to drop.
“We don’t have to go back so fast. I mean, I talked to Matt and he said to take a break.” And there was the other shoe. Unable to say anything, she grabbed the nearest thing she could find, which was a throw pillow, and approached him. “You can come back next week- Now, Sharon, you’re going to hurt yourself,”he said in a calm, soothing voice.
“As long as you are hurt as well, I don’t care. Cameron, how could you? That’s my boss. He’s supposed to be impartial about this kind of things. I just started and need to be treated the same as everybody else. Anyone else who does this would be out of a job the next day- Can you stop moving so fast?”she growled angrily, panting after the ever escaping man.

The room wasn’t even that big and he still managed to avoid her. It occurred to her he was an athlete. Even one who was recovering still had the skills ingrained. Being a quarterback had made him nimble on his feet and he retained the muscle memory. Now this was an impossible situation. Falling onto the sofa, she glared at him.

“I give up.”

He didn’t believe her. Obviously, he shouldn’t but she had run out of energy. All that rest had not helped her in any way. She was drained within minutes of waking up. But as the energy drained out of her, so did all the itchy, thorny emotions. Now she was just annoyed. Her exhaustion dissipated when he sat down gingerly beside her. There was no explaining it but she felt comforted with his presence. They sat in silence for a few moments.
“You’re so annoying. But can you at least tell me why we’re here?”
“I just thought you needed a break. Matt told me you have been working very hard for the past few months so since we were heading here, it felt like a good time.” She narrowed her eyes on him.
“Don’t lie. This is a spur-of-the-moment trip. I’m sure Matt didn’t play in role in this at all. Well, maybe as an afterthought.”
“Maybe I thought that it was a good chance to reconnect after not seeing each other for so long.”
“A simple lunch would do. But nothing like this afternoon. That was an ambush, nothing more, nothing less. A lunch with just the two of us would be nice. Oh, maybe not just the two of us because you and Holly are still a thing-”
“Look, I don’t know how to say this but I wasn’t lying when I said that I broke it off with her.”
“Are you serious? I really thought you were joking.”
“Why would I joke about this?”