Chapter 8: Alex

When the two of us finally reached the academy, after much huffing, cursing and groaning, we both looked like mud monsters. Mercifully, we were greeted by a kind and thoughtful lady, who looked in her early forties, with short brown hair and soft, green eyes.

As we entered the hallway, the girl who could fly was now making her way up the beautifully ornate wooden stairs, carrying her own case, which looked very expensive. She had not long finished saying goodbye to her scout, who had a superior look on her face and she was extremely pretty, with long, blond, curly hair, blue eyes and a well-formed figure. When the girl who could fly met my eyes and saw my dishevelled appearance, she sneered at me in displeasure.

What the hell had I done to deserve such an unpleasant reaction? I thought, my insides prickling. Clearly, her angelic-like features didn't match her personality.

In the end, I glared at her, fuming. Seeing my response, she quickly turned around and, as she did so, she did nothing to hide the revolted look on her face, before she carried on towards her destination.

I change my opinion, I mentally said to Jack, who had seen the heated glance between her and me but said nothing. I'd never trade my powers for someone as obnoxious as her.

Before he could reply, the woman with the green eyes reached us in a bundle of shock.

"Oh, just look at the pair of you," she cried, frowning. "What on earth possessed you to try and walk through the grounds, let alone in inappropriate footwear? They're literally swimming in mud."

Jack sighed at the sound of her words, using the back of his grubby hand to wipe his sweaty forehead which, unfortunately, only resulted in him smearing more mud on his already grime caked face.

"There must have been some form of miscommunication," Jack answered grumpily.

That was a serious understatement. I thought and I believed I saw a small smile linger on his lips, as he helped me with my own case, before he continued.

"I wasn't told that you'd moved the meeting point since I last saw you yesterday in London. Consequently, when we arrived, I expected to land on a concrete pavement, not in a boggy field."

At this news, the woman's face flickered in puzzlement.

Then, she threw her hands up in the air.

"Well," she said, shaking her head. "I can't get my head around that. As far as I was aware and informed, everyone was told about when and where the meeting point would be." After seeing Jack stiffen at this news, she waved him off with her hand. "There's no use arguing over this matter, as the damage has already been done but," she added, once again seeing Jack's desperation to interrupt. "Please be assured that I'll inform Hannah about the matter as soon as possible. After all, organising and checking travel routes is her speciality."

Noticing my shivering body, she rapidly turned and smiled warmly at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jack's shoulders relax.

Clearly, she was a woman of her word.

"For now though, I want both of you to go to our ground floor bathrooms and have a nice, hot shower," she said, leading us along numerous corridors, which were decorated with antique ornaments, flowers and oil paintings of ancient men and women, who frowned down upon us from above. "Then," she continued, "we can sort out introductions and formalities for you my dear (she looked at me) as well as ensure that you (she now looked at Jack) are ready to resume your schedule."

When she had finished, Jack nodded at this remark, his face twitching in annoyance. Clearly, he had an infatuation about being on time. All the same, when we reached the bathrooms, which branched off into separate rooms for men and women, both of us sighed, relieved.

"Now," the kind woman said, helping me place my case just outside the entrance. "When you've both finished making yourselves more presentable and comfortable, you'll find clean towels and clothes waiting for you inside the door. Then," she finalised, "when you're ready, come back along the way you've just walked until you once again reach the main entrance where I'll be waiting for you (again, she looked at me)."

After she had finished, Jack and I then thanked her for her kindness. Once she had bustled off, I said my goodbyes to Jack.

"Thank you for all that you've done," I said blushing, now strangely feeling shy in his presence, as we parted. "Hopefully, we'll see each other again?"

He smiled down at me.

"That's OK," he said, grinning. "It's all part of the job description, although I'll say that it's been a pleasure knowing you and I'm sure we'll meet again. However, for now –"

Au-revoir, Jack spoke the last word in my mind.

I smiled back at him.

Au-revoir, I mentally replied. Until next time.

Subsequently, with a last grin, he turned and disappeared into the men's bathroom, leaving trails of mud on the recently polished, wooden floor.

After a few moments of silence, it was my turn to leave. Checking that my case was fine, I made my way into the woman's bathroom.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I thought, as I pushed open the carved, wooden doors. I was sure as hell looking forward to a lovely, hot, long soak.

***********
AN:

Ooooo I sense possible tensions between Alex and the girl who can fly. What do you think? Yes or no?