Chapter 43: Alex

Blackness clouded my mind. As I ran, the world about me spun. I retched, realising that my powers were too great, at the moment, for my body to cope with. It was Hecate who stopped me from leaving the building, as I reached the front entrance of the academy, skidding to a halt in my black heels.

"Alex," she cried forcefully, holding out her hand to slow me down, which included blood red fingernails. "Stop running."

I shook my head.

"Let...me...go," I scowled at her, as her cold eyes met mine. I frantically tried to push past her defences. "I don't want to be in this academy for a moment longer."

"You know we can't do that," Another voice joined the two of us, this time it was Mr Allen, who came to a stop next to Hecate, clutching her shoulder, barring my escape for definite. "This is where you belong. This is your second home."

I let out a crazy laugh.

"My second home?" I retorted sarcastically, eyes wild in shock, although I knew that I had once considered his words to be true. "I almost killed a girl just now and yet, you say that this is where I belong and that it's my second home?"

"They both speak the truth." Vladimir's stern voice was the final one to join the throng. I spun around, to meet his serious gaze, heart and head pounding and eyes wide in fear. "You're not to leave this academy until I've given my permission and, up to that point, this place offers protection, support and comfort for all those within its walls."

I suppose that this situation, to you, might appear somewhat comical. I was now officially surrounded by a mysterious, witch woman, a tremendously, hot-looking vampire and an all-powerful, old man dressed as the crazy inventor 'Frankenstein'. I also joined this strange party in my Mrs Devil costume and I felt extremely exposed and embarrassed in my really short outfit. Nonetheless, despite his powerful authority, the craziness of the situation and my lack of clothes, I managed to find my voice.

"But I almost killed a girl." I repeated, trying to place a strong emphasis on this grave fact. "That surely gives you reason to not want me here?"

Vladimir fixed me with a steely gaze.

"We understand the seriousness of what we've just witnessed and acknowledge that your behaviour's cause for concern," Vladimir said, closing the gap between him and me. "However, knowing the strength of your powers, in addition to your potential connection to Mortimer, makes the matter more forgivable. After all," he concluded, "with powers like yours, they're very hard to control should your emotions get the better of you."

At hearing Vladimir's exclamation, I nearly cried. My emotions were all over the place and, to make matters even worse, his statement about this 'Mortimer' person sent shivers up and down my spine.

My heart stopped.

For some reason I couldn't explain, at the sound of Mortimer's name, deep inside of me, something stirred – something monumental.

This something had a huge impact on me.

This something caused me to become even more fearful, especially as I couldn't make sense of the situation.

This something, as crazy and as absurd as it sounds, could be summed up in one word - recognition.

Vladimir noticed the change in me instantly. Before anymore could be said on the matter or before I could explode, he sharply gestured for the others to leave the room.

"Please leave us." Vladimir told Hecate and Mr Allen in a firm voice, after he had somewhat recovered, although his eyes were racing with numerous emotions. "And tell no one about what the two of you've just heard."