Chapter 21: Alex

The next few hours went by painfully slowly. I was kept awake by a constant stream of confused thoughts regarding what had just passed and what I had just witnessed. Nevertheless, I still felt comfortable on the medical bed and was able to have the odd nap now and again.

For that reason, I stayed where I was.

When I realised it was time for lunch, as soon as I smelt the delicious food coming from the dining hall, I shakily got to my feet and thanked Mrs Frost.

She met my thanks with a small smile.

Whilst I met her gaze and she explained to me about my equipment, books and clothes, deep within her eyes I saw the concern she now felt for my welfare and soul, since her questioning from Hecate. I did my best to push these sombre thoughts out of my mind, at least for now. Before lunch, I went and got changed out of my PE kit.

When Raphael saw my enormous bruise, once I had entered the dining hall and sat down next to him, his face became filled with worry.

"God Alex, what happened to your face?" he asked me, leaning over the table and lightly tracing the bruise with his finger, causing me to blush as hundreds of interested eyes turned in my direction.

Swallowing and setting about making myself a melted cheese and tomato sandwich, causing his hand to fall loosely by his side, I explained all in a hushed whisper.

"Let's just say I had a run in with someone in PE who doesn't like me very much," I told him, trying to ignore the fact that my face was now as red as the tomato in my sandwich. "And this was the outcome."

At hearing my answer, Raphael frowned.

"Who doesn't like you very much?" he asked me, looking around at the other students in the dining hall with anger written on his face. "Show me who it is and I'll give them a good talking too."

Man. He reminded me so much of David.

In order to fulfil his request, I looked around for Vanessa, but she was nowhere in sight. Then, it struck me that Jasmine wasn't around either.

"They're not here at the moment. However, moving onto more important issues, do you know where Jazz is?" I asked.

Raphael shook his head.

"No," he replied, "I haven't seen her all day. I thought she was with you in PE last lesson, but perhaps I was wrong?" This answer threw me. Nevertheless, I didn't have time to think more about the matter, for Raphael brought up the previous topic of conversation once more. "So...why does this person hate you so much to do that to you?" he asked me, pointing at my bruise. "They must have some serious issues."

After registering his question, I sighed, before telling him about Vanessa and our earlier argument.

"Ouch!" he replied, after listening to my explanation. "Vanessa sounds positively hideous. What's more, to rub even more salt in the wound, you have to share your dorm with her of all people." He frowned. "All in all, I think she should've been named after the devil instead of Lucifer."

I laughed at this comment, before I remembered my Music lesson earlier.

"I think you may be right about Lucifer being an alright, decent guy you know," I swiftly told Raphael, smiling and trying to take my mind off Vanessa. "He seems to be a really nice person, despite his bulky figure."

Raphael grinned back at me.

"I told you so," he laughed, grinning at me and his golden eyes were aglow in amusement. "And, from this discovery, I think that we can all learn the lesson of never judging a book by its cover. What's more," Raphael added, "at least we now know that, despite his name, Lucifer's not a psychopathic demon, who has an intense hatred of the living and is intent on harvesting my soul for all of eternity. Consequently," he concluded, "I think that I can sleep more easily tonight."

I laughed at this comment, now feeling that tingling electricity buzzing inside of me as we locked gazes, his golden eyes holding my ocean ones. Raphael was such a decent, funny and lovely guy and this had been emphasised on more than one occasion since I had initially met him. The way he behaved around me was more or less the same way David had, before my 'awakening'.

His presence felt comfortable and familiar.

Just before I was about to say something else, the bell went, signifying that lunch had ended. After smiling once more, Raphael's eyes searched my own, as I told him I would see him later at dinner. I felt my heart flutter. Then, I headed off to my Power Control class. 

***********
AN:

So Alex and Raphael seem to be bonding. I wonder how their relationship might develop. It's also good that Alex acknowledged Lucifer and how his name doesn't fit his personality. I'm all for looking at people for what they are like on the inside NOT the outside.

Book 1: Awakening (The VIth Element Series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara