Chapter 29: Alex

Although I did my best to distract myself from these upsetting thoughts throughout the remainder of the lesson and the rest of the day, my guilt and awkwardness proved to be difficult to hide. Rumours surrounding Vanessa's bruise swept around the academy like wildfire, much like they had done when I had been hurt in netball. To make matters worse, after Raphael had heard about me punching Vanessa, he seemed to be the only one, apart from Vanessa's followers, who was unimpressed by this action. Instead, his face darkened significantly and he looked at me strangely, as if to say: "I never thought that you would stoop to her level." This reaction stung like crazy, ever since my emotions for him had gradually been strengthening the longer we were in each other's company. Nevertheless, the exciting news at dinner, delivered by Vladimir, seemed to ease the tension temporarily.

"So...now that my talk about end of term assessments is over," Vladimir continued, clapping his hands together eagerly and making those who had drifted off in sleepiness jump to attention. "I'd like to talk to you about the Halloween Ball, as it's almost October 31st."

As soon as he had uttered the last word, the room exploded in a buzz of eagerness. This Halloween Ball sounded exciting. Therefore, everyone abruptly turned to listen to the headmaster, in a babble of anticipation. At seeing everyone's excitement, Vladimir chuckled in delight, before he relieved all who were present of their anticipation.

"Every 31st October," Vladimir began, "we have a Halloween Ball. It's a traditional celebration, which has predominately seen much laughter, excitement and merriment throughout the years. Therefore, this tradition will continue on that very date, in much of the same fashion."

Vladimir paused for a moment, to allow the whispered mutterings of excitement to resume once more, before he continued his explanation.

This was greeted with a hushed silence.

"This dining hall will be host location for that particular evening and your afternoon lessons will be cancelled so that we, as teachers, can organise and decorate the room. Furthermore," Vladimir added, "there are two requirements. All of you, including the staff here at this academy, are to dress up for the occasion and, if you can, find a date (that word sounded so unnatural on Vladimir's tongue. Consequently, it caused a few nervous and amused giggles from various students) for this long-established event." Vladimir rounded up his speech. "And so, with that being said, let's begin eating because, I don't know about you, but I'm feeling very hungry indeed."

As soon as the food had been put on the table and everyone began to eat, Jasmine turned to Raphael and me in exhilaration.

"Oooo...a Halloween Ball," she gushed. "It sounds like so much fun."

"If you say so," Raphael replied, his voice grumpy.

Fearfully, I put this down to the whole "Vanessa incident".

After hearing his moody tone, Jasmine turned to him, stung.

"Oh lighten up," she quipped. "Halloween only happens once a year."

Realising that Raphael wasn't interested, she turned to me, her eyes sparkling.

"I already know what I'm going as," she replied, trying to distract herself. "I can create a really cute cat costume from the clothes in my bedroom. What about you?"

I shook my head, not really in the mood for discussing the topic, particularly because Raphael seemed so irritable.

"I don't really know to be honest," I replied. "I'll see what I can do closer to the time."

Jasmine looked at me surprised by my lack of enthusiasm.

"Oh why are the two of you such spoil sports?" she cried. "It's only a Halloween Ball for crying out loud." Nevertheless, even this cry of protest did nothing to change the darkening atmosphere.

With a sigh of frustration and a glower, Jasmine turned to the student next to her and began talking excitedly to her instead, leaving Raphael and I to dwell on regretful and gloomy thoughts for the remainder of the evening.

AN:

Oh dear. Jasmine doesn't seem to understand what Alex is going through and Raphael is not happy with what Alex did. Will this effect their relationship?