Chapter 32: Alex

The library could be summed up in three words – enormous, ancient and dusty – extremely dusty. It was exactly like those magnificent libraries you more or less see in every gothic movie. What's more, I was thankful that I was not an asthmatic, for this was most definitely their form of hell. Ultimately, because the library was so gigantic, I decided that I would ask the librarian, who was currently making books zoom about the room with her mind, where I needed to go to access the files I wanted. She met my gaze with her wizened features, once she had finished placing the last book in the right place.

"Yes," she croaked. "What can I do for you?"

I showed her my permission slip.

"I'm looking for the area that deals with these files," I told her. "I've got permission to access one of them."

She threw me a haughty look.

"I can see that," she said, looking miffed and harshly prodding the piece of paper in my hand. "I'm not blind yet." Nevertheless, despite her peeved state, she pointed a wrinkled finger at the far end of the enormous room, to where a roped fence cut the library into one of its numerous sections.

"The area you're looking for is past that rope," she added, stamping the form. "But make sure you put the files back where you found them once you're finished. I'm fed up of finding Bronte next to Wordsworth and Dickens next to Shakespeare."

Trying to stifle a smile and hide my shock, I nodded in understanding, before I made my way towards the area, which she had kindly highlighted to me. Then, ducking under the roped fence, I made my way through the numerous alphabet-marked shelves, until I found the one I wanted. My great grandfather was thankfully located in the right place, under the letter of 'S' for 'Silverstone' and I pulled out his file in interest and excitement. Subsequently, I brought it over to a nearby table, where I flicked on the old lamp, plonked my behind on a dusty chair and set about reading its contents.

What I found inside was fascinating.

Alastair Silverstone's file included a detailed account of his life, from his birth in 1892 and his 'awakening' in 1908, right up until his death in 1966. I realised when reading this that this meant that the early years of his life occurred during the Victorian Era. Therefore, that was, in my opinion, pretty cool. This ancestry file began with a detailed account of where he lived when he was born, which was in the English countryside, not far from London. It also discussed how my great grandfather became fascinated by the publication of Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species' (1859) when he turned fifteen and in the subject of Science. Consequently, I realised, it was no great surprise really that, a year later, he was blessed with the gift of being able to communicate with animals.

I re-read the story of his 'awakening' in high amusement, for it was indeed a funny tale. This gem was located in a short interview, which was situated in the back of his file. The interview was conducted by a scouting and counselling team, who had been called in to support my great grandfather's mother (Maria Silverstone) and to transcribe exactly what had happened that day.

The interview went as follows:

Date: 17th April 1908

Time: 10:34am

Location: The home of Alistair Silverstone and his parents

Interviewer: William Dent

Interviewee: Maria Silverstone

[Interview Commenced]

WD: "Please can you describe to me your initial reaction when you saw your son talking to your finest cow, known to all as 'Old Bessie'?"