Chapter 18: Alex

My first lesson was Music and, all in all, it was amazing. Ironically, but nonetheless undeniably awesome, I found out that my music teacher was called Miss Crotchet. Her power included the ability to communicate with animals, exactly like my great grandfather - Alistair. She initially demonstrated her power at the beginning of the lesson by singing a recognisable tune – Lady Gaga's 'Edge of Glory'.

Much to my delight and that of the class, her singing meant that a flock of doves, which had been roosting in the academy's rafters, flew through the classroom window, landed on the teacher's desk and replied to her song with beautiful trills. Therefore, I firmly concluded that she was more or less a real life version of the Disney princess 'Snow White'.

During the lesson, Miss Crotchet told us that we would be studying one, famous composer each week, starting with Mozart. She also explained to us that we would be looking, listening and trying to replicate some of his works, but putting our own stamp on it. This announcement was met with excitement from everyone, especially from Lucifer. Although he was more subtle about his interest, he betrayed his keen curiosity through his body language, which I found surprising. For now though, I focused on the lesson at hand.

The whole lesson started with listening to sections of 'The Magic Flute' by Mozart, as well as enjoying listening to Miss Crotchet attempt some difficult parts. Then, we set to work on the computers, hoping to create a recognisable, catchy melody that Mozart was renowned for. Lucifer evidently excelled in this assignment. Miss Crotchet had just finished talking to Jasmine when she went and sat down next to him, before she put the headphones onto her head, eagerly looking forward to hearing his work so far. She was not disappointed. It was her high pitched shriek of delight, combined with an incredible display of his melody, which told us Lucifer was an undiscovered talent at composition.

"Oh, wow Lucifer," Miss Crotchet gushed, beaming at him in amazement and excitement, as she patted him hardly on his broad back. (Due to his muscular form, her pats probably felt like gentle taps to him). "Your solo melody is incredible. Plus," she added, "you've even managed to add some counterparts and harmony in the strings, woodwind and brass. Clearly, you're a mastermind of a composer!"

After this dramatic display of excitement, Lucifer, in all his hefty bulk, turned bright red, blushing in embarrassment.

"Thanks..." he just about forced himself to mumble, before he buried himself back within the music, trying to hide his burning features.

Jasmine and I exchanged intrigued glances, before we set about continuing with our work. I was pleased when Miss Crotchet came over to me and praised me for my own musical talents, for I wasn't that bad at composing (modesty is my speciality). Nevertheless, just as the bell went for second period and I watched Lucifer hurry out of the room as quickly as possible, still self-conscious, Miss Crotchet called me aside.

At first, I was a bit surprised and nervous by this request, for I feared that I might have done something wrong. Still, calming these unwelcome sentiments, I motioned for Jasmine to leave me and mouthed that I would meet her in PE. Once Jasmine had disappeared, Miss Crotchet continued.

As she spoke, my anxiety evaporated.

"I just wanted to talk to you about your great grandfather - Alistair Silverstone," Miss Crotchet explained to me, smiling kindly. "It's a real pleasure to be able to teach one of his successors. After all," she added, "as you can imagine, he was a great inspiration of mine."

After she had finished, I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thanks," I replied, returning her smile. "To be honest, I've only just found out about Alistair on my birthday, although I'll say that the whole story of his 'awakening' made me laugh."

At hearing my words, Miss Crotchet chuckled.

"I know," she said, grinning. "I remember reading that tale when I was looking through his file in the library. He was quite a character you know."

After hearing her last comment, I threw Miss Crotchet an interested and intrigued look, before I asked the question lurking in my mind.

"You don't suppose that I could have a look at his file?" I enquired, hoping that, as she clearly had a lot of respect for my great grandfather, she would be willing to grant me my request.

At first, Miss Crotchet looked uncertain. All the same, at the last second, she changed her mind.

"I don't see why not. Really, students are prohibited from accessing the files, unless they're for an assignment. Nevertheless, I suppose I can make an exception in your case."

I threw her a thankful smile.

"Thanks," I replied, beaming up at her. "I promise that I'll only examine the one file."

Miss Crotchet nodded her head.

"Very well then," she said, smiling. "Next time we have music, I'll give you my permission and I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy reading about your famous, family ancestor. I know I did."

Afterwe had finalised the agreement, I bid her goodbye and thanked her once more. Then,I set off towards the bane of my subject life - PE.     

***********
AN:

I love Miss Crotchet. To my fellow musicians, I salute you and I hope you appreciate the reference. Now let's brace ourselves for Alex's first PE lesson. I think it may well be interesting to say the least!