Chapter 12: Alex

We spent the remainder of the day, before we went to find out our roommates, by the lake, investigating its surroundings and eating a selection of sandwiches for lunch. In the centre of the lake was a small island, encircled by an assortment of tall and large trees. This island could be accessed by a collection of small boats, from canoes to rowing boats, tied to the jetty. This was unless, like the unpleasant girl who could fly, you could get there without needing any form of water based transportation.

Before we surveyed the island, we walked around the entirety of the lake, which was bordered by a huge wood, resting on stone seats dotted at various checkpoints and watching the ducks and swans swim contentedly by. To be honest, by the time we had completed a full circle, I had forgotten about our previous argument and about the cold, for I was roasting in my thick jumper and multiple layers of socks.

When Jasmine and I eventually completed a full circle, we had bonded like two people who had known each other for years. Both of us were musical. She played the piano and guitar and I sung, as well as played the flute. To make each other laugh, we practised harmonies to popular songs and Jasmine, like me, revealed that she wanted to be a full-time author when she was older.

Due to this growing closeness, I soon decided that I could ask her how she felt when she first learnt of her powers and her 'awakening'. She met my question with a small, embarrassed smile.

"Well...after my scout had helped me regain control of my powers, she told me about Vladimir's academy. Since I knew I had been responsible, as my 'awakening' was on such a big scale, I quickly accepted the truth. However," she added, her eyes going glassy. "The hardest part was leaving my parents the following morning. I didn't get a wink of sleep at all." Jasmine wiped her eyes on her sleeve, as we watched a solitary swan swim past. "It took so much effort to say goodbye."

At hearing this response, I placed my hand over hers.

"I know how you feel," I said, trying to comfort her. "I spent my last night crying the whole time, so much so that I looked like a zombie in the morning." I threw her an encouraging smile. "Still, I'm just grateful that I met such a lovely friend so early on during my time here. I've always found it hard to make friends. Therefore, I count myself lucky."

Jasmine shot me a beaming grin at hearing this comment, her tears rapidly receding.

"Oh Alex, thank you so much," she said, smiling. "I'm so lucky to have met you too. At least I now know one friendly face out of the many that go here."

I nodded.

"Me too," I replied, before I eyeballed the line of rowing boats.

Jasmine saw my line of gaze and, at seeing her excited face, we decided to try one out. After a wobbly (if not slightly wet) start, we eventually reached the island. Once we had made sure that the boat was well and truly secure to the post on the jetty, we headed off amongst the trees. The island itself wasn't that big and soon, we realised that we were reaching its centre, despite the fact that the trees were more tightly packed together now, making visibility harder. The small clearing, arranged with several logs, rocks and a small bonfire in the middle, which wasn't lit, told us that we had finally found the islands midpoint.

We weren't alone.

Just as I stepped into the clearing, a stick snapped, causing me to curse loudly. 'Mystery boy' sharply spun around, startled at first.

As soon as he saw me, his face relaxed.

"Oh," he said, in a voice that was deep. "It's you."

Jasmine came up behind me as he spoke and, at hearing his response to our arrival, threw him a heated glare.