Chapter 30: Alex

After dinner, everyone else, apart from our small trio, seemed to go to bed on a high. Feeling tense, I tried to lighten the atmosphere by smiling more as I said goodbye to Raphael. He nodded a reply in my direction. However, after that simple acknowledgement, he then headed towards his dormitory, not once looking back.

"I wonder what's got his pants in a twist?" said Jasmine moodily after we watched him go, before the two of us finished walking up the remainder of stairs and entered our room. "He's been so grouchy all evening for no apparent reason."

I shrugged, as I threw myself onto my bed, although I knew very well why he was being so grumpy.

"It's so annoying because I really hoped that he would asked me to be his date for the Halloween Ball," she continued on, oblivious to my stiffening body. "Now though, he seemed so disinterested in the whole thing that I think I might skip it altogether, which sucks for people like me who love this time of year."

I made no reply to answer her for immediately, as soon as she had finished, I felt the green eyed monster rear its head in significant jealousy. I tried to push it down and, during this process, I hid my face in my wardrobe, as I searched for some clean pyjamas. Nevertheless, I could feel Jasmine's intense stare on the back of my neck. Therefore, I forced myself to grumble a response, trying to keep my voice as calm and steady as possible.

"Yeah, well, he's probably just really tired, that's all." I answered lamely and she looked at me as if I had burst her bubble.

So much for being a supportive friend, I thought, wincing slightly. Particularly after all she did to help you when you had that nightmarish vision.

However, a dark voice added, when that friend has eyes for the guy you want, you're not exactly going to offer the best advice are you?

Suddenly, Jasmine looked at me strangely, as if she was able to read my current train of thought. All the same, shaking her head and sighing, she went into the bathroom to get ready for bed, closing the bathroom door a little too harshly for my liking. Doing my best to ignore her, I curled up into a tight ball.

God, I've been such a flipping idiot. I mentally cried. So much for me thinking that I was being 'oh so clever' and 'impressive' for actually hitting Vanessa. Instead, I feel positively guilty and the guy who I'm beginning to like is now giving me the cold shoulder.

I currently SUCK!

Groaning, I rolled over and begun to punch my pillow violently. I had screwed up badly. I realised, as I hit the soft fabric with intent. Really, really badly. As I collapsed onto my back, exhausted, I realised that I had to find a way to make things up with Raphael and I hoped that he would be willing to forgive me for what I had done.

***********

AN:

Again, Alex has found herself in a rather difficult position. What will she decide to do?