Chapter 22: Hecate

As Hecate walked along one of the many long, ancient corridors of the academy, not long after visiting Mrs Frost, she decided that she should probably inform Vladimir about her discoveries.

After all, that was one of her duties.

Changing direction, she headed towards Vladimir's office, hoping to find him unengaged. As she went to knock on his door, she was presently surprised to hear the headmaster speak in response to her presence, before she had even brushed the old, oak wood with her knuckles.

Clearly, luck was on her side.

"Come in Hecate," he said, his voice low and calm. How he had known she was there when there was no way of seeing or hearing her, for she had always been as silent as mist in her movements, she had no idea. Nevertheless, there were many things that were mysterious about the headmaster so, in the end, although she was curious, she thought it best not to dwell on such matters.

"Vladimir," she replied, nodding politely in his direction, when she had entered his incredible domain. "I just wanted to talk to you about some matters of importance."

The office itself was filled with all sorts of unbelievable objects, some hundreds of years old and filled with ancient history. What's more, either side of the entrance stood two, enormous bookcases brimming with books, some Hecate ached to get her hands on. It was so full of intriguing and unusual devices that Hecate had to slowly shuffle along to get to the headmasters desk, in case she happened to catch them on her flowing skirt. It was then that she noticed the most interesting item in the whole room, which was situated behind the headmaster. This item wasn't interesting because of its decoration, despite the fact that it was relatively plain apart from the hilt. It wasn't even interesting because of its size for, considering what it was, it was relatively small. No. Instead, it was interesting because it looked so innocent locked in the small, glass cabinet that held it prisoner. Yet, as she drew closer to this mysterious item, Hecate could tell that it was deadly and filled with immense power.

The item that held her attention was, in actual fact, a dagger with a simple outline and beautiful cut. In its hilt, was a small, blood red jewel, which seemed to glitter different colours in the shadowy light of the room.

Vladimir noticed how Hecate was drawn to the dagger in interest.

"I've had this dagger a very long time," he said carefully, making Hecate jump in surprise, as she sat down opposite him. The power and lure of the dagger was enormous.

How had she not noticed it before?

"W...what's it for?" She asked him, trying her best not to keep on looking at it because otherwise, it would ensnare her completely.

In her heart, dark thoughts resided.

"I think you know what its purpose is," Vladimir said simply, highlighting her ominous suspicions. "Therefore, it should never leave this room, unless I say so."

At hearing this disturbing information, Hecate suddenly looked at Vladimir with a worried expression.

"It's powerful," she whispered and, as she spoke these words, she sensed the dagger display this power briefly, in a subtle ripple, affecting the tense atmosphere around the two of them.

Vladimir nodded.

"I know," he replied quietly. Nevertheless, sensing that Hecate had come to him for a different reason entirely, not just because people like her were unconsciously drawn to his office, he asked her why she had visited him.

"Oh," Hecate said, shaking her mind free of the daggers trance. "I bear useful information about the girl whom I spoke to you about earlier - the one I sensed had great power."

At hearing this news, Vladimir rose a little more in his seat and his whole body became alert.

"What is it that you know?" He asked Hecate, his eyes gleaming in interest and voice breathy.

"Well," Hecate began. "I know that her name is Alexandra Raven and that she's blessed with the power to control the element of water."

Vladimir's eyebrows raised at hearing this information, in particular the name of the girl. Hecate noticed his reaction, although she said nothing.

"Really," he replied, "elemental water control? We haven't had someone with that power join this academy since it was built."

Hecate nodded.

At seeing Hecate's reaction, Vladimir was very intrigued. However, he was confused as to why this girl was in the medical wing of all places, after reading Hecate's mind.

"Why's she with Mrs Frost?" he asked Hecate, frowning. "What happened to her?"

Hecate shook her head.

"To be honest, I don't really know," she replied truthfully, "although I think it was something to do with an unfortunate accident in PE. However, regardless of that, I told Mrs Frost to deal with her injuries in the best possible way."

Vladimir nodded in approval. Hecate had done well, extremely well and he told her this with a beaming smile, to which she bowed her head in thanks.

Even so, Vladimir hadn't finished.

"I want you to still check up on this girl – Alexandra Raven. The task in question is far too dangerous for anyone to embark on, let alone those who are of such a young age."

As soon as Vladimir had finished, Hecate nodded in understanding. Subsequently, realising that she should now depart, she hitched up her black, lace skirt, before heading off towards the entrance of Vladimir's office. Before she stepped outside, she remembered that she had another reason for wanting to see Vladimir – a reason that she had kept hidden for the past few days. She had feared that this reason may start a panic or bring bad luck should it ever be spoken aloud. Nevertheless, she knew that she should tell Vladimir, despite her own dread and misgivings.

It was far too important to ignore.

"Vladimir," she said softly. "I've received many messages from the other side recently. The dead are restless and they have told me that Mortimer is in the process of hatching a terrible master plan to ensure his return to Earth. We need to act soon if we wish to stop him."

Vladimir, who had lost himself once more in concerned thoughts, after Hecate had stood up to leave, immediately stiffened. He had felt the darkness around him grow ever colder and menacing over the past month since he had first arranged that initial meeting, to decide what must be done about Mortimer. He had silently prayed his suspicions were incorrect. What a fool he had been to think like that. He now realised, after heeding Hecate's warning. Of course they weren't. He was Vladimir Alcaeus. He was never wrong about matters such as this.

"I understand your concern Hecate," he said slowly, swallowing as his intelligent, blue eyes met hers. "And I've felt this disturbing change myself. However," he continued, "I'll not put anyone in danger, not until I'm completely happy with the decisions being made and we know more about Mortimer's intentions. You know as well as I do that if we are wrong, then Mortimer will destroy those who are put in his way with lethargic ease. Then," he concluded, "once they're gone, he'll turn, eventually, on us."

When Vladimir had finished, Hecate had heard enough. She knew Vladimir's word was final. Therefore, nodding and bidding him goodnight, she exited the room, not once looking back. Even so, this answer did nothing to soothe the foreboding, which was gradually building in her heart.

***********
AN:

So this dagger sounds rather mysterious and interesting. It definitely has Hecate on edge. I wonder what its purpose is?