Chapter 40: Alex

I was terribly nervous as I returned to my dorm, so much so that my hands were actually dripping with sweat. This anxiety was because I had no idea how Jasmine was feeling since our argument. I also felt the swirl of dark emotions reappear in my heart, as I recalled her jealous words. When I opened the door, I was immediately jumped on by Jasmine, who threw her arms around me and virtually squeezed the life out of me. I noticed how her eyes were sore and extremely red.

She began to sob uncontrollably.

"O...oh A...Alex," she stammered, in-between sobs. "I h...have been the...the w...worst f...friend e...ever." She gurgled. Inside, I sighed. Clearly, she wasn't the kind of person who seemed to hold grudges. "I...I h...have been such...such a...a moo!"

"It's OK," I replied gently, feeling my heart soften. I took out a box of Kleenex tissues and gave them to her, for she had a disgustingly, runny nose. Looking into her eyes, I saw the sincerity in them. She was generally upset by her earlier unkind behaviour. "I forgive you."

Jasmine threw me a thankful smile, before blowing her nose on one of the hankies I had given her.

Then, she continued to stammer.

"I...I had no idea about you...you and Raphael," she said. "If I had...had k...known that you l...liked each o...other then I wouldn't h...have accepted his o...offer to take...take me to...to the H...Halloween Ball s...so quickly and...and w...without talk...talking t...to you f...first. A...also," she added, "I h...have been so...so unkind, in particular my c...comments earlier about y...your p...private lessons with V...Vladimir. I h...hope it all went w...well today?"

I gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"Look," I answered softly. "All that's happened between the three of us has been said and done now and we'll forget about it, although yes thanks, the session I had with Vladimir was alright, if not a little strange. However," I continued, "regarding the Halloween Ball, we can still go as a double date...can't we?" I tried to see the brighter side of the situation, as well as comfort her. "After all, I'm still going to the Halloween Ball with Lucifer."

Jasmine shook her head sadly.

"That's not going to happen now Alex," she said, her eyes once more brimming with tears. "Raphael and I had a huge argument about the matter, not long after you left and it ended on both of us agreeing that it was best if we didn't go together."

At hearing her answer, the devil inside of me danced delightedly, surprising me. I tried to push these dark emotions down, desperate to hide them in front of Jasmine. My plan seemed to work for, as soon as I saw how disappointed Jasmine was, I set to work thinking about how to rectify the situation.

As far as I was aware, most people seemed to have found dates now, especially as the Halloween Ball was virtually upon us. I knew this because gossip came in handy now and again, when I could be bothered to eavesdrop. Suddenly, an idea came to me. Not long after I had sent him a text, Lucifer knocked on my door.

I opened it up cautiously.

"So...I got your text," he said, smiling slightly, although it looked somewhat strained. "I don't mind taking the two of you if it helps to solve any problems."

At hearing his answer, I threw him the biggest, thankful glance in the world. He was such a gentleman and kind-hearted person.

I vowed to never be judgemental again.

"You have no idea how much this means to me." I told him, as he looked at me with a sad expression. "And how much it will mean to Jazz when she finds out."

Lucifer blushed at my words.

At the sound of her name, Jasmine abruptly appeared by my shoulder.

"Oh Lucifer," she said, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

He explained his intentions.

"Well...Alex briefly told me what had happened and asked if I'd be willing to take both of you to the Halloween Ball, instead of just her. I've come to tell you that I've accepted her request. After all," he added, "I'd never decline a friend help, plus refuse the company of two, beautiful women. That would just be unheard of."

After Lucifer had finished, Jasmine threw me a surprised look, filled with both deepest regret and poignant friendship.

"Oh Alex. Did you really do this to help me?" she asked, unable to believe her ears.

I nodded.

"Yes," I replied. "I know how much you wanted someone to take you to the Halloween Ball, so I decided that you could share my date, with his approval of course. Fortunately, he's agreed to take two girls for the price of one."

I tried to lighten the atmosphere.

Luckily, this happened.

Jasmine once again threw her arms around me.

"I'll never say such uncalled for and unkind things to you again," she exclaimed, pinkie-promising me, once she had grabbed my little finger. "You're the best friend a girl like me could ever ask for."

I returned her hug, before saying goodbye to Lucifer.

"Thanks for what you've done," I told him, when Jasmine had gone back into our room. "It means so much to me."

Lucifer just nodded.

"I know it does," he said. His next words caught me off guard. "But I mostly did it because I wanted to help you. I could tell from your frantic text that you were upset and, after what you did for me, it was the least I could do. I hope that you're alright now."

I nodded.

"I'm fine," I told him, "and I'll see you around."

Lucifer smiled.

"See you both soon and remember, at seven thirty, I'll be right here, waiting for you." Then, he turned around and left a weary and emotionally confused me behind him. 

***********
AN:

Awww so Lucifer really isn't living up to his name. I have fallen in love with him too along the way and enjoy crafting his character. Lucifer really has got a kind heart under all that muscle, although has he secretly got other reasons behind why he is helping Alex so much? What do you think?