SIX.

SIX

Simon Minter was lying in a pool of his own blood

Simon Minter was lying in a pool of his own blood. His father had slashes his belt across his back so hard he had started to bleed heavily. Simon couldn't do anything about it, he had to just lie on the kitchen floor, his blood pooling behind him while his father shouted at his mother. Simon was the youngest of three brothers, and his two brothers had fled the family home as soon as they could, for it used to be them bleeding onto the kitchen floor too.

"Get up," His father instructs.

Reluctantly Simon uses whatever strength he could muster to push himself into a stand, his back was burning with pain.

"Clean yourself up, you son of a bitch," His father says, glaring towards his youngest son.

Simon glances from his father to his mother. She had a bruise smacked across her right eye an over her cheek, he'd hit her again, and Simon was too weak to do anything about it.

Simon moves towards the stairs, his bleeding back causing his mother to wince.

"Please, let me help him with the cuts," She pleads and her husband smacks her across the face again, causing her to fall back against the sofa.

Simon halts, his body tensing at the sound of his mothers pain.

"Keep walking, boy," His father says and Simon shuts his eyes, he knew if he looked back he'd be in more trouble, so he kept walking, practically dragging himself up the stairs.

As soon as he reaches the bathroom he locks the door behind him and pulls down his trousers, they had blood stains, and they were his only good pair of school trousers left. He groans as he pulls back the glass door of the shower and flicks the button to turn on the water.

He glances over his shoulder at the mirror, seeing his wounds made his eyes fill with water. He knew that Josh would let him stay round his, but he also knew his father wouldn't let him leave easily.

He pulled off his boxers and socks before slowly moving into the shower. He lets the water wash over his neck and down his back, the blood mixing with water as it made its way down the drain. The pain was still there, but he felt a little better.

He stayed like that for another 10 minutes before slowly exiting the shower and picking up a towel. He wrapped it round himself before throwing his clothes into the wash basket and moving out the room towards his bedroom.

Once inside he checked himself in the mirror, seeing the bleeding had stopped for now. He needed someone to dress the wounds, and he knew his father would know to go to Josh's house. He had to think of an alternative. He couldn't go to any of his friends houses as they would all think of him as weak. He could only trust Josh, but Josh wasn't an option. He pulled on his clothes, gritting his teeth as his t-shirt rubbed against the wounds on his back. He pulled on a zip up hoodie and opened his bedroom window. He grabbed his backpack filled with everything he needed for an emergency escape like this one. He eased himself out of the window and onto the roof platform. He then slowly climbed down the wall, using the gaps in the bricks of the old building and the plants that grew up the wall to help him. Once down he pulled over his black hood and rushed for the back gate. He quietly opened it and then made off down the street. He had around 30 minutes to get somewhere safe before his father noticed he was gone.