NINE.

NINE

Cleo walked up to the little cafe, it was an designed like an American Diner and was gorgeous

Cleo walked up to the little cafe, it was an designed like an American Diner and was gorgeous. Cleo headed inside and saw Simon sat at the back, he was tucked away in a booth on his phone. Cleo walked towards him, her hands in her jeans pocket as she stopped before him. His eyes looked up and he smiled at her.

"Take a seat," Simon chuckles and Cleo sits down opposite Simon, resting her hands on the table as her eyes flicker over his features.

"You look gorgeous," Simon smiles and Cleo smiles back, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Thanks," Cleo chuckles and Simon looks at the menu.

"What do you fancy to eat? Or drink?" Simon asks, glancing at the food menu.

"I'll have a strawberry milkshake, please," Cleo says and Simon nods.

"Want a burger or something?" Simon asks and Cleo gives Simon a soft smile.

"Alright, I'll have a burger, as long as you do- I'm not sitting here eating while you don't," Cleo laughs and Simon smiles.

"Of course," Simon says and the waitress comes over and Simon orders two burgers and two strawberry milkshakes.

A small conversation about sixth form starts between the two people as they wait for their food.

"Simon, why do you even like me? I mean...I'm not supposed to like you either- our friendship group differences show us that," Cleo says, her fingers tapping on the table in a smooth rhythm.

"You're different, you want to see the good in everyone...And that night when you helped me...Thats when I knew I'd fallen for you," Simon's voice is quiet, and it makes Cleo feel calmer, more settled, "I'd like to ask you the same question,"

"Well, maybe its the fact I like to see the good in everyone- I see the good in you, Simon, I see the pain in your eyes," Cleo says, and her hand moves across the table and rests on top of Simon's.

The waitress returns with the food and the milkshakes.

"Here we go, enjoy your meal," She says as she placed the food in front of them.

"Thank you," Cleo and Simon say in unison and the waitress nods, smiling before walking away.

Cleo and Simon share a another glance before beginning to eat their meal, both of them chat throughout the meal, talking mostly about school and their past experiences.

"Do you remember...In year 9...When you followed me home, down the damn alleyway- you scared me to death, I didn't want anything to do with you ever again," Cleo says and Simon suddenly looks guilty.

"I'm sorry about that, I never really did apologise, did I? I didn't mean to scare you...I was going to shake you up even more than I did, but there was something about you, something I'd never seen in anyone else before...Something beautiful- I never wanted to hurt you, or scare you again. I wanted to protect you- why do you think I beat up that kid? Why do you think I wanted you to stay away from school on the day of the big fight?" Simon asks, and Cleo looks at the table, she couldn't bring herself to look at the boy opposite her.

"I don't understand...Why would you do all that for me? For someone who you hardly ever spoke to? Surely it can't be because you thought I was pretty or because you thought I was good to people," Cleo says and Simon chuckles.

"Are you going to make me say it out loud?" Simon asks, a small blush coming over his cheeks.

"What?" Cleo asks and Simon smiles.

"I was in love with you, I still am," Simon says and Cleo feels her chest tighten.

"Don't say stuff like that," Cleo mutters, she still couldn't look directly at him.

"I'm not joking," Simon says and Cleo lets out a deep sigh.

"Okay..." Cleo says and Simon looks at his finished food.

"Its fine, honestly I never expected you to say something like that to me, I just thought...I don't know what I thought," Simon says and he calls over the waitress and pays for the food.

Cleo reaches into her pocket and offers Simon the money for the food, "Here, please take it,"

"No, my treat...Don't make me take pity money off you," Simon chuckles and Cleo sighs before replacing the money in her pocket.

"I'm sorry Simon," Cleo says, "I just didn't expect you to say that,"

"Its fine," Simon says, his eyes move away from Cleo and towards the front door, "Get up, walk towards the toilets, use the back door and go outside,"

"What? Why?" Cleo goes to turn round but Simon grips her arm.

"Just go, please," Simon says and Cleo nods. She gets up and moves quickly, she doesn't look round at whatever she was leaving for and she uses the fire exit to get outside. The wind bites at her skin as she pulls her coat on. She heads round the side of the building and up to the front. She glances inside and sees that Simon was gone, she frowns and looks round outside, no one was around.

She lets out a deep breath and decides to just go home, she starts walking, heading across the park where Vik was nearly beat up by Simon and his friends. She walks up the steps to her house and opens the door, she heads inside and sees Harry and her father in the kitchen talking about Harry's apprenticeship.

"Hey Cleo," Her father smiles and Cleo just walks past, towards the living room.

"Its nice to see you too!" Her father calls and she just rolls her eyes as she opens the door and heads down the garden. She jumps down in front of the shed and opens it up, and there he was, sitting in her shed.

"How did I know this is where you'd go?" She asks the lanky blonde and he lets out a chuckle.

"He still doesn't know this is where I come, I had to leave, and I didn't want him to see your face, I managed to lose him a few streets away," Simon says, "Had to run down that alleyway we were talking about,"

"Simon," Cleo says and she walks a little closer to him before kneeling down in front of him, her eyes scanning over him, "I want us to be together,"

"What?" Simon asks.

"I don't love you, at least not yet, but I can learn to," She says and Simon smiles.

"Okay, well, I'll do my best," Simon chuckles and Cleo sits down next to him and nuzzles into his side. She wanted to love him, she really did, but she knew it would be hard, and she knew it could end up being the death of her.

______________

Thank you for reading!!!!

This wasn't the best chapter ever but I'm always getting asked to update this so I thought it was about time

Also what do you think of the new cover???

~KatnissBajanCanadian❤