Chapter 9

Felt like sharing this video -which I obviously don't own-; I often use it as inspiration and, well, it's just crash in general, so feel free to check it out and show its creator some love~ (If Wattpad decides to be a jerk, here's the link: https://youtu.be/ZubCYMDo1Ms )

Enjoy another chapter!

Chapter 9

You watched with an amused expression as Bart's eyes childishly lit up upon seeing the plate you handed him. Grinning from ear to ear, he licked his lips and commented, "Bacon, eggs and toast!? Totally crash!!"

You took a seat, and by the time you picked up your fork to eat your own breakfast, your companion had already wolfed it all down. "You should cook more often (Y/N)!"

"Huh?" You looked up at him, doubting whether or not you misheard him.

"Your food's really good," he praised sincerely, making you beam with pride.

"Thank you, Bart." You were about to start eating, but were interrupted once again.

"Are you gonna eat that?" Looking upwards, you followed his gaze to your toast.

You shrugged. "You can have it."

"And this?" This time, your bacon.

"I don't mind."

"And-"

Your giggle cut him off. You pushed your plate over to him and teased, "You could've just asked for seconds, y'know."

He paid no attention to your words however, for his attention was being devoted only to the food before him. He excitedly cheered, "Thanks (Y/N), you're the best!", before diving in.

Rolling your eyes playfully, you got to your feet and started the stove.

Once the eggs and bacon were sizzling, you acknowledged the speedster's coming-over to stand next to you. "Hey, what are we gonna do today?"

Giving him a small smile, you replied, "We're just gonna walk through town and visit shops we like." You were about to add something when you noticed a blur near one of the frying pans and then, your two strips of bacon were gone.

Your eyes widened and you gasped before spinning to face Bart. As you had predicted, you found your missing meat in his hand, suspended a little above his mouth. Your adrenaline granted you with enough speed to be able to fetch the bacon back before the boy could eat it.

You heavily sighed in relief as you put the food elements back in their pan.

Afterwards, you turned back toward him. His disappointed expression turned into a shocked one as you scolded, "Bart, don't ever do that again! Are you aware of what you could've done!?"

He slowly shook his head no, not daring to say anything when you were in such an angry state.

"You could've poisoned yourself! That bacon wasn't cooked. You would've gotten very sick." You huffed in irritation, crossing your arms.

Hanging his head in shame, Bart played with his fingers as he mumbled, "...Sorry (Y/N)."

You glared at him for a few more moments before ultimately letting out a small sigh. You turned back toward the stove. "...I'm guessing you're still hungry though, judging the way you tried to eat those. So, I'll make you a third plate. But there's no more after that."

You were expecting a typical, "Thanks (Y/N)!" or some kind of happy dance, something , but....

You definitely weren't expecting to feel his chin rest on your shoulder, and a strong pair of arms slither around you from behind. "Knew you couldn't stay angry at me for long~," Bart purred lowly, smiling slightly.

Well, this was new...

Stiffening in his sudden embrace, you eagerly peeled his hands off you and coldly snapped, "Shut up."

After years of not having been hugged, you didn't really know how to react to one, and they made feel you awkward. And especially trapped. Sure, you let him hold you the other day, but that had been different. You had been crying...

"Awww, but (Y/N)-"

"No."

Bart pouted. "But-"

"No more food for you." Another whine.

"(Y/NNNN)!!"

Not too surprisingly, most of your day was spent visiting local restaurants and food stores. Bart's messy, speedy eating won you many odd looks from surrounding people, but you didn't mind much. Who cared? You didn't know these people anyway.

And fortunately, it's not like it cost you anything. The Speedsters Incorporation were paying for anything meant for the students' Impulses, for they were supporting and promoting this Impulse project. The only thing that you actually had to pay were the hardcover books you bought. They were rare nowadays since everything was digital, so you were only able to afford three. That was good enough for you though.

At the end of the day, you were both simply relaxing in the town park, sitting on a bench and watching people of all ages stroll by. You recognized a few of your classmates, who were each accompanied by whom you guessed were their Impulses. You could tell so easily since they looked unrealistically flawless and astounding, like if they were Greek Gods having descended from the heavens... Huh. They must've customized their appearances to perfection.

They were grinning widely, seeming to be having a good time... Programmed  to be having a good time, programmed to always be happy and careless and smiling...

Like Bart used to. Well, he was still in a great mood often...

Because it was part of his personality. Not because he was designed to. That was the main difference between him and other Impulses...

You smiled faintly as you thought to yourself,  I like it better that way. When he smiles, he means it now, it's not just his programming... I wonder if he's happier now?

However, as you observed them, it wasn't long before you noticed something weird about them.

"Bart?" He hummed as he glanced over at you, his green eyes giving off their usual handsome shine. "Why are these Impulses so slow? You're pretty fast compared to them."

Indeed, comparatively to Bart, the programs were rather sluggish. Sure, they ran a little quicker than the average human, but you could still clearly make out their form when they sped. Quite unlike Bart, who would usually be seen as nothing but a blur.

"Well," he turned back toward said speedsters, "An Impulse's speed is determined by the amount of appreciation it receives."

You raised an eyebrow. "Meaning?"

He grinned broadly. "Meaning you really like having me around."

Feeling embarrassed at his words, you hastily looked away, feeling your cheeks warm up slightly.

Yet, there was no point in denying the truth in his words.

You really did appreciate him. And thinking of a life without him was suddenly much tougher than it had been just a week ago.