Chapter 15

Finally, things get more interesting! We'll be taking a sneak peek at Bart's side of the story, let's see if you guys will be surprised!

No promises, but I'll try updating twice if I can today. I hope you guys enjoy!

Chapter 15

The two speedsters became rather close within a few days only. If Wally was somewhere, so was Bart. It was almost like if they had adopted each other, almost like a small pup following an alpha wolf everywhere he went, taking in everything he said, letting himself be taught and exposed to a new world. So yes, it was adorable to watch.

They'd have eating contests, they'd speed across the apartment -which you would have to pick up afterwards-, they'd discuss much too quickly for you to really understand anything.

But you definitely didn't mind. In fact, you were more than delighted to take part of their fun by cooking so much food for the competitions, and trying to keep up with them as they ran and ran tirelessly. -Trying to understand them as they sped-talk was a lost cause, so eh.- Of course, in both cases, you'd always drop out much before them, but no matter. Seeing the burning determination in their eyes, or the energy in their step as they raced, was quite a show.

Watching the two happy speedsters always seemed to brighten your day. Especially seeing as these were sincere smiles, not just artificial, fake ones that they were designed to wear.

Speaking of their designing...

It wasn't long before you acknowledged that Wally had emotions as well. When you had asked him about it, he had merely stated that his friend had taught him to feel. His will had been strong enough for him to overthrow his programming.

Now that was a feat to be proud of. Bart was even more awed than you were about this, and, lucky him, that wasn't the only amazing story that Wally had in store. From tales about fighting against horrendous storms to marvelous eating exploits, you name it, the Kid Flash had it all. Well, to the younger speedster's eyes, anyway.

Bart admired the redhead he now considered as his cousin. How that came to be? One morning, when you caught them both sneaking into the kitchen to steal some pastries, you had claimed that they reminded you of cousins, with the way they both moved in such a similar way. They had the same small bounce in their step, and the way they'd hold their breath at a certain distance from their target...

All in all, you were just so glad that Bart had such a beloved companion. He strived so much to keep you happy... By having agreed to take Wally in, you felt like you could properly return the favour.

The sun rays, which shyly peeked through the window to go and tickle his eyelids, were what woke Bart up from his dream. ...His odd dream. ...They'd been getting weirder and weirder lately. Until now, he had paid no attention to them, but this morning, he felt particularly troubled. Why weren't they going away? Was he sick?

Energetically hopping off the couch, the speedster kept himself from noisily using his superspeed as he walked, the cold floorboards letting out quiet creaks beneath his bare feet. He was still in his hotdog-patterned pyjamas, a gift Wally had gotten for him when you had all gone to the mall to buy said Kid Flash some new clothes. After all, the only ones he had were ripped and filthy from his constant travelling. They 'wouldn't do', as you had put it.

Stopping in front of your bedroom, the male stepped forward and gently pushed the door open. ...You were still fast asleep, your blankets neatly tucked around your form, face hidden away into your pillow.

A small smile touched Bart's lips at the sight. Your sleeping self seemed to perfectly reflect your gentle, calm, lovable self, the one that had been hidden away from him when you first met. Ever since this side of you was exposed to him, his affection for you had grown more and more. The desire to make you happy was no longer instinct, but rather, his will, his own personal little mission.

Yet, this mission, which had once seemed so simple, was starting to get complex.

Not only did he want to keep you satisfied, now, he also felt the need to... Take care of you. And protect you.

But you took care of yourself properly already! And there wasn't anything to protect you from! So why did he feel this way? Did his programming perhaps sense a danger that he wasn't aware of? Or was he corrupted?

The latter certainly seemed to be a possibility, considering the odd, unfamiliar symptoms that only added to his confusing behaviour...

This whole conflict had been so small and therefore didn't need to be brought up at the time, but now, it haunted him even in his dreams. There was no escaping it, no matter how fast he ran...

It was time to tell you about it. Perhaps you could help...

But no way was he waking you up. You were slumbering so peacefully, and you hated getting woken up anyway.

This left him only one choice...

"Hey, Wally?"

Said Kid Flash perked up at the sound of his name, and brought his gaze from the computer screen before him to the source of the voice. Grinning upon recognizing the smaller speedster, he warmly greeted, "What's up cous?"

"I was wondering if you could help me with something," revealed Bart as he came over, stopping next to the male.

Quickly acknowledging the boy's unusual seriousness, Wally furrowed his brows, intrigued. "Yeah, sure."

"I've... Been feeling weird." A small frown came to the teen's lips. "Around (Y/N), I mean. My heart beats faster for no reason, and sometimes I just... Look at her. Like if she's a cake or something."

Wally would've laughed at the ridiculous comparison, but, sensing his cousin's unease, he knew better. The younger speedster came to him for help, not to be mocked. "So you want me to tell you if I know what's going on?"

"Yeah. I thought maybe you would know how I feel." Young, green eyes looking up at him, full of hope.

Smiling affectionately at Bart, Wally leaned back against his office chair, crossing his arms behind his head. "Well, I've definitely had that once."

"You have!?" Both excitement and relief washed over the boy's face. "So I'm not weird?"

Unable to contain a chuckle, the redhead reassured him, "Nope. Actually, when I had that, I was in love with the person."

"In... Love? So I'm in love with (Y/N)?" Bart cocked a brow, bringing a hand to his chin, much like he had seen detectives do so in movies, as he processed this new scenario.

"Sounds like it." A shrug. "But don't take my word for it--"

Too late. The younger male had already walked off, maintaining his thoughtful pose, surely digging through his database for information on this newfound topic.

Amused, Wally turned back toward his work. His cousin could be such an oblivious child sometimes.