Chapter 22

Here goes, my lovelies. The book's ultimate finale! After this, there's merely the epilogue and the bonus (the one concerning Wally's past) left for me to write. Although, I'm warning you guys, the bonus will surely wait until mid-November since I have to focus on my semester exams. Thank you for reading this chapter, fellow readers, and see you in the epilogue soon!

Chapter 22

One week. It had been one week ever since the three speedsters left. Meaning, one week that you hadn't been able to get a single ounce of sleep.

The heavy silence that fell over your apartment, once labeled as peaceful, was now plain torture. It only reminded you again and again of the boys' absence.

No more cousins sneaking into the kitchen to steal poptarts, no more breakfasts to prepare at five in the morning, no more... Life.

It was just you, only you. And you couldn't stand it.

It was too quiet, too calm. You needed that bubbly, hyperactive boy to be by your side, to remind you to smile.

You shouldn't have been so worried. The speedsters would certainly return, after all, they knew what they were doing! But... It had been a whole week now. And you were debating whether or not this was normal. With their speed, the trio should've been back by now, right?...

Please, let them be okay.

Nine days.

The sun was warmly smiling down on the planet, the pleasant breeze was making the delicate flowers dance and sway from side to side, the grass was green and lush, inviting to tickle at your toes.

It would've been an excellent day to go walking, yes, but you weren't interested.

You remained in your apartment, sitting on your couch -that was much too large for a single person-, food in hand as you watched that old, cheesy mood ring movie.

You weren't going anywhere. Not when there was a chance that maybe, just maybe, the boys would come back home today...

As the credits rolled down the screen, you let out a sad, nostalgic sigh, remembering how Bart had proceeded to asking you for emotions when you had shown him that very film. I was so wary of him back then. Funny how now, I can't seem to live without him.

Not bothering to close the television, you rose to your feet and absently started making your way to the kitchen to go wash your plate. As you did so, you walked past the window.

A bright streak of red caught your eye.

You came to a stiff halt. Your heart was hammering wildly in your chest. Could it be that...?

Slowly, but surely, you turned back toward the glass.

The usual city buildings stood, the sunrays bouncing off their dull, metallic surfaces. The sidewalks were deserted, and so was the nearby park, with its captivating fountain.

But you saw none of that.

All you had eyes for was the costumed man, and the redhead at his side, who were calmly trudging their way down the quiet streets.

You recognized them instantly, of course. Letting out a slight gasp, caught up in your excitement, and barely processing Bart's absence, you set off to join the speedsters.

You ran, and ran, as quickly as your legs could carry you, faster than you had ever ran. Your lungs burned and cried out in complaint, but you didn't care, your muscles ached and groaned, but you did not care. All that mattered was the boys' return. Your stride was determined, your tired face was illuminated with ecstatic joy, giddy giggles slipped past your grinning lips.