Chapter 18

Aaaahhhh I can't wait to see how you guys will react to this chapter!! Hopefully you'll appreciate!

Before I go on, I have a quick question for you guys. I'm well aware that we don't get to see Wally much in this story, and I thought... What would you guys think about me writing a small bonus about his past, and this friend he's looking for? Would you guys like that? Let me know!

Without further ado, have some Bart!

Chapter 18

You basically screeched out the first thing that occurred to your panicked mind. "What the hell's a virus sweep!?"

Wally, who somehow seemed much more level-headed than you would've liked, quickly replied, "It's an annual procedure that involves resetting any speedster who's been affected by a virus or altered in any way-"

"Is that supposed to be good news for us!?" You let out a squeak of fear as the floorboards violently shook beneath your feet, heavy thuds vibrating through the limited space.

Ignoring your question, the Kid Flash merely ordered, his voice collected, proving that he had surely dealt with such distressing situations before, "Take Bart and hide, get out of here, anything! Just don't let it get to him."

"W-Why not?" You weren't quite sure you wanted to know though. Perhaps because you were already aware of what the tragic answer would be.

Turned out that you did.

Fiddling with some buttons that were installed into his forearm, the redhead responded, "Bart will be taken away if it finds him. Now go! I'll act as a distraction-"

"Kid Flash detected."

Your felt your heart stop as a great, complete shadow swallowed you both. Breathing hard, you gulped with difficulty and slowly looked up at the imposing intruder. You were paralyzed with terror, frozen underneath the icy, unfeeling gaze that was burning you down.

A tense silence before, a more pleasant, light robotic tone from beside you. "Superspeed ready at 70% of full capacity."

"That's my ticket." Wally sent a bright grin your way and briefly waved before flying off toward the kitchen.

Although, against all expectations, the stranger swiftly set chase with him with just as much speed... Was it a speedster as well? And if it was, wouldn't that lead to complications for the Kid Flash?

You momentarily considered going after them, but dismissed the thought before long, much to your disgruntlement. These two were much too quick for you, you'd never be able to match their pace. And either way, Wally had seemed to know what he was doing. He'd certainly be able to handle himself.

So, regretfully, you dashed off toward where you knew you'd find Bart, determined to get him to safety.

Without bothering to knock at his bedroom door or to warn him in any way, you hastily barged into his room, adrenaline racing through your veins. "Bart! There's a virus sweep, we have to get out of here!"

...Absolute silence. An unsettling feeling instantly fell over you as you dreaded the worst. Were you too late? Had Bart already been taken away without you even noticing!? "B-Bart??"

Panicked, you scanned the room desperately and-

A bump beneath the Flash-imprinted blankets caught your eye.

Hope rising in your chest, you didn't hesitate for a single moment, clumsily running over to the bed and carelessly ripping the sheets off of it.

A warm relief made you sigh out at the sight of Bart, curled up in a small ball.